Movie thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we just do the online, I read in money magazine that netflix wants to permanantly drop the mail in program and go 100% online, which they said was part of their strategy in the price increase...
Never heard that. And there was no price increase fo mail-in only...
Streaming only is definitely their plan for the future and makes up the majority of their users now. The article I read indicated they have just under 3 million dvd customers and just under 10 million streaming customers.
Something isn't adding up, since they have 24 million customers...
I don't think those numbers include people who have both streaming and dvd's.

http://www.investorplace.com/2011/09/netfl...scription-plan/

The company announced it now tallied 2.2 million DVD-only customers in the U.S., a dramatic 26% shortfall. The streaming video numbers also missed the mark, with only 9.8 million down from a 10 million projection. That’s a 1 million loss to the total headcount of viewers.
Dang, no wonder the new releases list has been looking so sparse lately.

Good explanation of the numbers (w/Venn diagrams!) here: http://mashable.com/2011/09/15/netflix-customers/

Last edited by a moderator:
With 51 episodes, it's going to take a while. :D

The TV series isn't the entire manga, so it's still not done after 51 shows. The last of the story is the movie itself. It was pretty good, but a little on the odd side. Some of the animation is different from the series (use of computer animation) and that put me off just a bit. On the whole, I guess it was a good closeout to the story even though I wish the ending were different.

With 51 episodes, it's going to take a while. :D
The TV series isn't the entire manga, so it's still not done after 51 shows. The last of the story is the movie itself. It was pretty good, but a little on the odd side. Some of the animation is different from the series (use of computer animation) and that put me off just a bit. On the whole, I guess it was a good closeout to the story even though I wish the ending were different.
I concur. I have it on DVD somewhere, and I liked it. Definitely worth the watch if you've seen the rest of the series, but I would only watch it after you've seen the series finale. I though the CGI stuff in it was kind of cool.

I am going to watch "The Burbs" and "The Great Outdoors w.John Candy" tonight...
I kind of miss going to a video store and walking around looking at movies, the redboxes and such are most always out of what you want to see (if you dont plan days in advance) and netflix online is getting worse in terms of movie content...
:plusone: :plusone:

"Who wants to take a ride in SUCK MY WAKE?"

Also just picked this bad boy up and it is marvelous! :thumbs:

P13395513.jpg

I don't imagine the next few years of movies released will be extraordinary. It seems as if everything is being remade into 3D. Personally, I couldn't care less about seeing Top Gun in three dimensions.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Goose still dies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't imagine the next few years of movies released will be extraordinary. It seems as if everything is being remade into 3D. Personally, I couldn't care less about seeing Top Gun in three dimensions.
Agreed. Also heard that there may be a possibility some of the classics are being re-made. Booo...

Did George Lucas do any more "enhancements" on the original trilogy? If so, I might skip it.
I have heard, but am too disinterested to investigate, that there are lots of subtle changes in all of the movies in the new blu-ray versions. Star Wars ep. IV has to be the most edited movie in history. It has been in the editing room for over 30 years.

Bought "Guardians of Ga'Hooel" for junior and watched it tonight. Not too scary for the little ones, enough of a "serious" plot and action for the grown ups, and some great animation and soundtrack. All in all, a good one for the family to watch. Best part about it though, that god awful "30 Seconds to Mars" song that is in just about every frickin' preview is nowhere to be heard!

I dont get the big draw for the 3D movie either, it gives me and everyone in my family a headache to watch..

We have a 3D tv and watched avatar at home in 3D, but in all reality it just wasnt a big deal.. I dont want to wear glasses at home while I watch a movie??

The fate of the 3D movie is teetering back and forth. When you look at recent numbers, the 2D stuff is still blowing the 3D out of the water, and the trends for who is opting to see what version is landsliding back to the 2D stuff. The fact is that a) it's not any better, b ) it's way more expensive, c ) it's still a novelty with no standard as far as passive vs. active and the other format wars are concerned.

Personally, I hope it tanks. I don't want to have to buy another projector, and my depth of field is just dandy with 1080p 2D images at 120" diameter.

Cedar Rapids - Decent funny movie for $1

Source Code - Unstoppable meets the Matrix? I didn't think it was as good as everyone was telling me.

Drive - Awfully painfully slow...just awful

The fate of the 3D movie is teetering back and forth. When you look at recent numbers, the 2D stuff is still blowing the 3D out of the water, and the trends for who is opting to see what version is landsliding back to the 2D stuff. The fact is that a) it's not any better, b ) it's way more expensive, c ) it's still a novelty with no standard as far as passive vs. active and the other format wars are concerned.
Personally, I hope it tanks. I don't want to have to buy another projector, and my depth of field is just dandy with 1080p 2D images at 120" diameter.
not a huge 3D fan...trying to wear 2 pairs of glasses sucked. it made you feel more like you were there, but not like the in your face 3D antics of years past

Back