Mount for my AR15

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
WARNING: This thread is all about guns. Do not read if guns or their owners offend you.

So Santa got me a Smith and Wesson M&P-15 Sport. Its a bare bones, budget gun that I am very pleased to have. It basically comes with a mag and thats it. No optics, sling, case, anything. So the day after christmas I started looking at scopes. I read alot and thought I made an informed purchase when I bought a Leapers 4-16x40 illuminated scope. Yes, I know its cheap, but I didnt want to spend alot on optics right at christmas time, so heres the problem. The dern thing is too long. You can see that the scope comes back over the charging handle and makes it very inconvenient to pull with the right hand. I need a mount that is relatively high off the gun to avoid the front iron sight and offest at least an inch forward of the top rail to get it past the handle. I've looked at alot of them but I cant be sure that they meet my needs. I don't want to spend more than $50 or so on the mount. I've posted this on AR15.com but so far noone has offered any suggestions. I have looked at a few hundred on Ebay but most don't have dimensions.

Any suggestions?

IMG_1749.JPG

Can't you get a carry handle that fits on that top rail, then a mount to go on that? My AR-15 upper has an integral carry handle, and I have a scope mount that attaches to the handle. Granted, it is very awkward to use the scope because your cheek cannot rest on the stock with your eye aligned with the scope. I usually don't even have the scope mounted. If I were to get another one, I would just get a red dot sight for it. Most ARs aren't accurate enough to require a good scope, and the ones that are have provisions for mounting good scopes.

Yes some come with the handle but mine didnt and I dont like the way it mounts the scope so high anyways. How far out would you want to shoot a red dot? I dont intend on trying for any records but I didnt think a red dot would be good past 100 yards.

Yes some come with the handle but mine didnt and I dont like the way it mounts the scope so high anyways. How far out would you want to shoot a red dot? I dont intend on trying for any records but I didnt think a red dot would be good past 100 yards.
What are you planning to shoot with this thing? I found the iron sights on an AR to be more accurate than the scope was...but then again, I didn't play with the scope much. Red dot sights typically max out at about 3x magnification, but that should be good to 100 yds.

Paper mostly, but I would like the ability to reach out a little bit for a coyote, deer, prairy dog or charging rhino if the need arises.

There are quite a few inexpensive mounts out there. Just do a search for "offset weaver rail." You also have the option of stacking mounts. Just be aware that often with mounts, you get what you pay for, so don't be surprised if the darned things won't hold a zero.

Paper mostly, but I would like the ability to reach out a little bit for a coyote, deer, prairy dog or charging rhino if the need arises.
are there a lot of charging rhino in Tennessee?

Unfortunately decent optics are expensive, and it may be difficult to get a good mount for $50. Even so, I'm surprised the folks at AR15.com didn't have any good suggestions. I know Mako and A.R.M.S. make some decent stuff that's typically less expensive than the priciest stuff (LaRue Tactical). Good luck.

BTW, you should be able to hit a man-sized target with no problem at 100 yds with a decent red dot sight (aimpoint). I have an Aimpoint CompM4s on my primary home defense rifle (11.5" free-float BCM upper w/ YHM SS Phantom suppressor). They aren't cheap but they are very nice. Also, BCM makes some extended charging handles that would be easier to grab if you keep that big scope on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Home defense at 100 yards? Who are you defending yourself from? Invading foreign army's? Okay, well maybe in Texas that's not that far from being a reality. :p

You're right, HD at 100 yds is unlikely except for something like a violent dog outside the house. Red dot sights are really intended for close quarters combat, and I figured he was more interested in using it for coyotes and such. I just really like red dot sights and think they are the best all-around setup for your typical 16" AR-15.

Most guys over here use an Eotech Red with a flip-down magnifier right behind it on the M-4 rail. A decent Eotech is about $300.00. The magnifier can wait until the budget permits but that way you have the best of both worlds.

You really don't need a scope on an a r15, the iron sights are pretty good up to 300 meter, or at least that's what they told us while in army training<<bill Murray voice>>

I think i just got antsy and ordered a scope too quick. After reading a little more this morning i think what i need is a 1x-4x scope. I didnt want it as a HD weapon and would occasionaly want to go past 100 yd for a varmint so the red dot is probably out. I probably wont go through the hassel of returning this monster though. Ill just keep it on there until i can aford a decent replacement.

I went with some guys to a new range here in Atlanta last week and dusted off my pistols, I forgot how much fun shooting is. Need to make that a regular habit.

Update:

I (attempted to) sight this puppy in last saturday. The iron sight is only barely visible at 4x, but totally fades out at any point past that. I've talked with several guys that have a setup like mine and are totally ok with it. I will get an handle extender for the charger though. I've already busted my knuckles a couple times charging it and that has gotten old. I was not very happy with the accuracy. I am certain it is the cheap ammo and not the gun however. I bought a bulk pack of Wolf ammo knowing it may not be as accurate as remington or some other name brand. Well, its not. I could not get anything close to a good group at 100 yards. 7" high then 4"low and right then 7"high again. I'm going to go get some good stuff and try again. I'll just keep the Wolf for the spray and pray events I guess.

You may have something else going on, as the Wolf ammo shouldn't be that bad. Were you sighting off a bag/rest?

For a solid budget .223 ammo, try the green box Sellier and Belloit FMJ. You can order it through Natchez. Won me a CT state title many years back, and was good enough to blow the spindle out of the spotter plug at 200 yards consistently with my Bushmaster DCM rifle.

Granted, I am a novice at this, but not totally ignorant of the procedure. I had a make shift bench set up and my gun on sand bags. It took a 30 round mag to get comfortable at 25 yards. Even though it still wasnt as close as I wanted, I went on out to 100. I took my time, maintained consistent position and my shots were all over the place. I fired another mag and I just couldnt get it to tighten up. It would be informative, for me at leas,t to get one of my professional shooter friends (ie hunters) to shoot it a little and see what happens.

Did you try iron sights at all? It's possible that your mount isn't holding a zero, or that recoil has created problems with the reticle holding a zero.

Also, make sure if you're using a scope that your eye relief and head position stays consistent, though that should only account for minor discrepancies in windage and elevation.

Back