motivation...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sschell

Dude?
Reaction score
I hope I am not shooting my self in the foot... but I am curious.

Why do people who have taken the PE exam, or are studying to take it, help other people prepare for the exam?

It would seem to me that the price paid to prepare and stamp plans is directly related to the number of people qualified to do so (supply and demand). So by helping other people pass, one could theoretically reduce thier own compensation.

I realize that this effect is probably trivial... but this is the kind of wierd place my mind goes when I am studying too hard! (preparing to take Mechanical PE in April)

Engineers help grow and develop communities, and technologies. Better communities, and better technologies lead to better economies. The more engineers, the better the economy.

This is not meant to exclude any other profession. We all do our part.

I would echo Mike's statements - most engineers typically work together to help each other out. :D Many people have offered advice and strategies and encouragement for passing this exam. I give many thanks for this :+1:

For myself, I found that offering to assist with problem solving helped me increase my comprehension for many concepts and principles. :study My thinking is that if you can break a concept down well enough to explain it in a manner that someone else can understand said concept - then you understand it pretty well.

Besides, I am just a heckuva nice guy. :???: when I am not wearing my regulator hat :ph43r: :ph43r: :ph43r:

Regards,

JR

my theory is that i will get hired (or not) based on my own personal merits and/or who i know. once there, it's on me to perform. so, helping a 'stranger' on a message board is not going to diminish my value in any way.

i guess your comment seems a little strange to me, since you should be more concerned with competition in your local area (due to the need to be licensed in a particular state).

btw, i am sitting for april mech pe exam also. now, if you are NOT in Florida, does that mean you will help me prepare? <_<

I figure if I can help someone with some transportation stuff, and I can get some ENV or Geotech help in return it works both ways..

We can "not help" if you really want.
But it's in our nature to be good people.  We just can't help it. :)
It is very true, it is in our nature to be helpful. :D

Now, if you would like the alternative ... you could always go to the "other" board :"the other board": :die:

:rotflmao

JR

It would seem to me that inviting people to my house and offering them a beer is directly related to the number of beers I get myself (supply and demand). So by sharing beer, one could theoretically reduce thier own consumption.

But who wants to drink alone?

:beerchug

well, I can put a whiney face on it.....

I work in industry. I currently have no PE's in my workplace of over 1,000.

I had to use PE's I USED to work for as references. Studying for the PE has been lonely, frustrating and misunderstood by my peers in my current workplace.

Having fellow "Sufferers" online has been helpful for me. I have gotten help, advice and encouragement. I even made a friend long distance with a guy who bought one of my old references. I had it on ebay, he asked questions, he bought the reference, and we have kept in touch. I just took the PE, and he takes it in april.

I will always be willing to give advice and help to someone going through this carreer path. If you are the only guy left standing with a PE, who can recognize your accomplishment? Non PE's?

I am usually quiet, because most of you give better advice than I....but if you are not a Civil, there is little support for a EIT or PE student. it's best we stick together and keep the "brothers" enticed with the licence.

My 2 cents.

good answers all around. Of course I am not asking for anyone to "not help"... Like I said, My head goes wierd places when I spend toomuch time with my nose in MERM...

I particularly like the beer analogy... I will drink to that!

on that subject, If I typically study over a beer or two... will I perform better on the test if I throw back a couple? is there anyway that can be construed as exam subversion?? :drunk:

I never studied drunk (or even buzzed) but I did drink way too much coffee, and I do believe I would have done better on the exam if I had been loaded on caffeine. But I was too afraid of going to the bathroom, so I abstained.

I think it is good to help people with this. If you've gotten as far as having the board approve your application to sit for the exam, then you're already farther along than, what do they say?, the 60% or more of engineering graduates who never pursue licensing.

I'm not too worried about competition. There's always a place for experience and maturity, and besides, after a while the quality of your work matters more than the license.

Back