Minimum Green Time for Pedestrians

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jco0518

laborer
Reaction score
If number of bicyclist is given, in addition to number of pedestrians during an interval, for calculating min. green time, do we neglect number of bicyclist when we determine Nped?

One of the testmasters questions neglected the number of bicyclist. is this because bicyclist is faster than pedestrian???? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pedestrians move at either 4ft/sec or 3.5ft/sec depending on what standard you use.

Would you like to have grandma walking across a big, 2Left + 3Straight + 1Right x 2 directions, intersection, and end up 2-3 lanes short, and have traffic start to move and leave grandma out in the intersection?

Pedestrians move at either 4ft/sec or 3.5ft/sec depending on what standard you use.
Would you like to have grandma walking across a big, 2Left + 3Straight + 1Right x 2 directions, intersection, and end up 2-3 lanes short, and have traffic start to move and leave grandma out in the intersection?

i don't know how your answer relates to my question? if you were trying to be funny, you gotta try harder...

i don't know how your answer relates to my question? if you were trying to be funny, you gotta try harder...
There is no difference between types: bicycles, strollers, kids, adults, teenagers, dogs, wheelchairs, etc.

The answer seemed legit to me... don't leave grandma out in the intersection just because bicycles can ride faster than 4 ft/sec. Or would this be a grand plan to solve the social security dilemma?

The answer seemed legit to me... don't leave grandma out in the intersection just because bicycles can ride faster than 4 ft/sec. Or would this be a grand plan to solve the social security dilemma?
my questions was that do you include number of bicyclist along with number of pedestrians to calculate total ped number for given interval? there was a question, number of peds and number of bicyclist were given seperately, and solution only used number of peds

Major Highway said:
I understand your question. Sometimes folks can answer tersely when they don't clearly read the question, but we like to have fun here. You are using the equation from Chapter 8 of Garber & Hoel:
Gp = 3.2 + L/Sp + [2.7 *(Nped/We)] for We > 10 ft

or

Gp = 3.2+ L/Sp + (0.27Nped) for We <=10 ft

So, you clearly understand that the Sp factor here is going to be either 3.5 fps or 4 fps, the L is obviously the distance across the road, and the Nped is what you are trying make sure you understand.

This is actually a very valid question, would you assume the bicyclists to be Class B and C cyclists and treat them as pedestrians when crossing the intersection (i.e., they get off their bike and walk it across the intersection looking both ways, like most people were taught when they were kids and many people still do who aren't comfortable riding their bikes in traffic). If you do that, then you would theoretically increase the Nped value to be number of true pedestrians plus number of bicyclists that you assume would dismount and walk. Or, do you consider the bicyclists to be class A cyclists, who consider bikes as vehicles and ride in the vehicular travel way, feel comfortable riding with traffic, in which case you would not count the bikes with the peds.

I think in reality you would be a bit more conservative and treat the bicyclists as peds for the crossing, but it seems that in this case they expect you to use the pedestrian value as it is given in the problem.
I agree with your answer, Major Highway. Sometimes they give extra data in the problem to confuse you.

its our job to analyze the problem and choose what is needed and what is just unnecessary info.

If number of bicyclist is given, in addition to number of pedestrians during an interval, for calculating min. green time, do we neglect number of bicyclist when we determine Nped?
One of the testmasters questions neglected the number of bicyclist. is this because bicyclist is faster than pedestrian???? Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The answer is yes bicycles move faster than pedestrians therefore when calculating Gp it is disregarded. I am a former Testmasters student and remember that problem written by Mark Ingram PE who is a VP of transportation for AECOMM and explained it that way in his class

If you keep intimidating people who ask valid questions , they will stop asking . I , along with many other PE takers, learn alot from the questions asked and answered on here .So , in order to keep the flow of info circulating , I would appreciate if you refrain from making sarcastic comments to the people who ask . Moving along , page 18-6 in HCM Eqts 18-3 and 18-4 regarding SHARED PEDESTRIAN-BICYCLE FACILITIES . I hope you find it useful

If you keep intimidating people who ask valid questions , they will stop asking . I , along with many other PE takers, learn alot from the questions asked and answered on here .So , in order to keep the flow of info circulating , I would appreciate if you refrain from making sarcastic comments to the people who ask . Moving along , page 18-6 in HCM Eqts 18-3 and 18-4 regarding SHARED PEDESTRIAN-BICYCLE FACILITIES . I hope you find it useful
thank you simpatique for your constructive comments...

Back