Masters in Financial Engineering

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickerd3

Taking suggestions
Reaction score
Just got an email from my almamater about a new program for a masters in financial engineering. From the curriculm list it looks like the college of engineering's version of an MBA.

no, Enron was playing Martha Stewart and cooking the books.

Engineering them is 100% legal... I think.

Last edited:
Financial Engineering is about using computer processing capabilities to inform investment decisions. Think thinks like: options pricing, risk valuation, quants, et al.

It's a very real field with lots of money for those who are good at it. (Even more if you are bad at it based on the causes of this recession.)

Financial Engineering is about using computer processing capabilities to inform investment decisions. Think thinks like: options pricing, risk valuation, quants, et al.
It's a very real field with lots of money for those who are good at it. (Even more if you are bad at it based on the causes of this recession.)
And finally I have put my MBA to use somewhere besides my wall. ;)

Oh this sounds cool, I might have to look into this, of course its pretty useless unless you can get seed money....from your engineering job lol. Once you have a seed money level job this would be good information to have.

Oh this sounds cool; I might have to look into this. Of course it's pretty useless unless you can get seed money....from your engineering job lol. Once you have a seed money level job, this would be good information to have.
Corrected.

I used to work with a guy who got a masters in Engineering Management, kind of like an MBA...which begs the question why not just get an MBA...

I used to work with a guy who got a masters in Engineering Management, kind of like an MBA...which begs the question why not just get an MBA...
I have an MEM, and it is quite different than an MBA. I had courses in project management, cost accounting, operations research, process analysis, etc. I took one economics class at the business school as an elective and I was in there with a bunch of MBA students. I wouldn't have enjoyed the MBA degree courses if they were all full of people like that econ class. They have a completely different mindset.

^ I started MBA classes this term. It's nowhere near as hard technically as grad school for engineering was, but I find myself learning a lot. I actually like the large cross section of students there. A sales person vs. an MD vs. an engineer look at the same problem a lot differently and it helps you see things differently.

Back