Masonry Radius of gyration

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have that book, is there any other place I could find this info?
you can also find the info from the appendices of MDG 5 (Masonry Designer's Guide, 5th Edition). For Solid grouted masonary wall, r=(t^2/12)^0.5=0.29t, where t is the thickness of the wall.

Are you taking the exam tomorrow? If so, you are missing the greatest single resource for it.
Dave, Try searching in google.. You may get it... Do not panic so late in the game.. In my first trial eventhough I had the tables I did not need them. Not to say that they are not useful... As wilhelpd told it is important to have it so that you ready just in case.

Dave, Try searching in google.. You may get it... Do not panic so late in the game.. In my first trial eventhough I had the tables I did not need them. Not to say that they are not useful... As wilhelpd told it is important to have it so that you ready just in case.
I asked around here and it turns out we have the MDG, 1993 (doesn't say what edition).

I asked around here and it turns out we have the MDG, 1993 (doesn't say what edition).
1993 definitely won't be the 5th Edition. I think the 5th came out in 2005 or 2006.

But it is not like the radius of gyration will change with each revision of the code... Masonry blocks are pretty much standard in size and have been for many years...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a table that has this information?
for 8" CMU r = 0.289*7.625 = 2.2 in ......... for 12" CMU r = 0.289*11.625 = 3.36 in ......... for 16" CMU r = 0.289*15.63 = 4.52 in

Last edited by a moderator:
Back