Maintaining Initial State License After Receiving Reciprocity to Home State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimB

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in a similar scenario to others that I seen on here. My home state is PA. I failed to realize that the FE and EIT we different things and PA requires 4 years of experience post EIT certificate. I have 2 years post the certificate, but 4 years of experience since passing the FE exam. Therefore, I'm eligible to take the PE and receive a license in a different state, such as Ohio that has decoupled requirements. I've seen others listed like Texas, Florida, and Delaware, but I have not investigated the requirements of these states.

My thought, like others have proposed, is to take the exam now (I'd like to take the exam now instead of waiting) and receive a license in a different state. In 2 years, once I become eligible in PA, I will apply through comity to receive the license in PA.

My questions:
1. Do you have experience with this and see any future problems with this plan?
2. If I pursue this and eventually let my initial state license lapse in favor of the home state, will I regret it (does this create any problems).

Thanks and I look forward to reading more as I hopefully prepare for the PE exam.

Back