M.E. Thermal-Fluids. Did you pass?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Failed TFS 2nd attempt at 49 out of 80. Used EngPro guide, NCEES 2001, 2011, and 2016, and 6MS. I probably studied for 120 hours... looks like I need to do more. It’s tempting to switch to HVAC too

Failed TFS 2nd attempt at 49 out of 80. Used EngPro guide, NCEES 2001, 2011, and 2016, and 6MS. I probably studied for 120 hours... looks like I need to do more. It’s tempting to switch to HVAC too
Don't switch, try getting SlayThePE practice test..also work on your speed..i think putting 120hrs will not get you to the right phasing..practice problems over and over until you are fast, fast like at least can finish those ncees in lessthan 4hrs including 6ms and SlayPE. Yeah I really think you just need to speed it up while being accurate you can only achieve that by doing timed practice test.

I passed.

My method was very simple. I worked problems from MERM, MERM Companion, and NCEES 2016. I went through all of the relevant MERM problems once, most of the companion problems, and the practice test three times.

I used the conversion book, the MERM, and a self crafted booklet with the MERM appedices and useful equations.

I did not use any other references or problems during the test.

Thank you all for your support

I passed.

My method was very simple. I worked problems from MERM, MERM Companion, and NCEES 2016. I went through all of the relevant MERM problems once, most of the companion problems, and the practice test three times.

I used the conversion book, the MERM, and a self crafted booklet with the MERM appedices and useful equations.

I did not use any other references or problems during the test.

Thank you all for your support
This is exactly what I did... It works pretty well for me too! 

Thanks and congrats! 

First time test taker. I passed the TFS exam with a score of 80. Does anyone know what this number actually means?

I took the live, in person Test Masters course here in Houston and found it to be very helpful in providing guidance and direction for my studies. I re-worked problems from the course as well as old NCEES exams and booklets and the week before the test I took the 2018 practice exam. I was worried about doing that so close to the actual exam but it was an eye-opener for me and helped me further home in on what I needed to get better at before the real thing.

I also worked some Slay the PE problems and watched a couple Dr. Tom's videos on problems I didn't understand from the 2011 practice exam.

My test day reference material included:

Test Masters spiral notebook (didn't use this too much)

MERM (used this more than I would've liked to)

"Bible" notebook consisting of equation cheat sheets for each topic, useful example problems, and useful reference materials (steam tables, etc) - this is what I used for the majority of the exam

Engineering Unit Conversions booklet - used a few times

Thanks for all the great information on this board! And good luck to all future and repeat test takers!

First time test taker. I passed the TFS exam with a score of 80. Does anyone know what this number actually means?

I took the live, in person Test Masters course here in Houston and found it to be very helpful in providing guidance and direction for my studies. I re-worked problems from the course as well as old NCEES exams and booklets and the week before the test I took the 2018 practice exam. I was worried about doing that so close to the actual exam but it was an eye-opener for me and helped me further home in on what I needed to get better at before the real thing.

I also worked some Slay the PE problems and watched a couple Dr. Tom's videos on problems I didn't understand from the 2011 practice exam.

My test day reference material included:

Test Masters spiral notebook (didn't use this too much)

MERM (used this more than I would've liked to)

"Bible" notebook consisting of equation cheat sheets for each topic, useful example problems, and useful reference materials (steam tables, etc) - this is what I used for the majority of the exam

Engineering Unit Conversions booklet - used a few times

Thanks for all the great information on this board! And good luck to all future and repeat test takers!
that is 80% so you got around 64/80 correct.

I passed with a 91%.

I'm over 10 years out of school and had to relearn everything. If anyone is curious what my study methods were, I started with the MERM practice problem book, then moved on to the EngPro and SlaythePE study sheets and practice exams. Finally, I took the official NCEES practice exam. If there were any subjects I didn't quite comprehend, I found some text books online and made sure I understood (for me this was compressible fluids and some fluid dynamic subjects). I only brought my MERM and conversion booklet to the exam.

Passed. Dr. Tom's course laid the foundation down for all the concepts. @Slay the P.E.'s prep material and practice exam filled in all the gaps from Dr. Tom's course (particularity combined cycles). 

Back