Lumber species and grade

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wimp

Reaction score
I asked this question in the wrong forum so here it is again...

What lumber species are people specifying when designing wood framed construction.

Where I am in the northeast, Home depot, Lowes, and contractor lumber yards have Euro Spruce. They don't know which Euro Spruce either. So , what good is it to specify Hem-fir #2 or Doug-fir if it doesn't exist?

does anyone know if there is a grading stamp on the Euro Spruce. If so does it specify what country in Europe the actual spruce comes from? Acoording to the NDS, the different country's spruce varies in strangth considerably.

thanks

What lumber species are people specifying when designing wood framed construction.

Where I am in the northeast, Home depot, Lowes, and contractor lumber yards have Euro Spruce. They don't know which Euro Spruce either. So , what good is it to specify Hem-fir #2 or Doug-fir if it doesn't exist?

does anyone know if there is a grading stamp on the Euro Spruce. If so does it specify what country in Europe the actual spruce comes from? Acoording to the NDS, the different country's spruce varies in strangth considerably.

thanks
Does the northeast really import European lumber (for construction use?) I can see for specialty use (i.e. furniture) but I find it hard to believe that what you're seeing isn't from Canada.

thanks
I work with lumber construction on a daily basis and our projects cover the majority of the mid-west, southeast, west. and some parts of northeast. Typically we try to work with Spruce-Pine-Fir No.1/No.2 or SP No. 2. I am not familiar with "Euro Spruce" either. I would think that the majority of the lumber you receive is from Canada. It may be of some benefit to contact the Canadian Wood Council or similar.

Oh. I thought this thread was about something else.

If anyone needs some advice concerning wood problems, particularly AM wood problems, give me a ring.

^^ I meant, shoot me a PM. Not literally "give me a ring", which in my experience only prolongs the wood problem.

Back