grade beams and slab on grade.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
So I have done many foundations. But I have never designed them. I will be helping my inlaws builid their small home and I wanted to make sure I could put together a good understanding of their homes foundation.

1. 1,000 sq. ft. home (yes small)

2. Soil is assumed to be fair based on surrounding homes.

3. Wood frame/CMU & Stucco finish.

4. One story.

I have the IRC, IBC and ACI 318-08 to make sure everything is done to code. (the City follows the IRC just FYI).

I will be adding fill 26 inches to reach the desired height my father in law wants. This is two inches higher than the surrounding homes and I believe what the IRC calls for. I would like to make 36" grade beams with a 4'' slab ( I realize they always do 3''). I have gone over with them the extra cost in not following the norm with 32" grade beams and 3" slab and they are perfectly ok with it. Now the contractor doing the work has over 15 years experience and I know will do just fine (its not me doing it, I refused to be a part of any transaction and just offered my help in anyway).

Anyway, If I was to design this, which ACI code would you all recommend?

I have ready so many places to just design beams without considering the soil and have them rest on spread footings, but I really would like to know and learn what the soil's part is. I've designed spread footing and mat foundations before from when I was in school, but grade beams and slabs on grade we never did.

Any help is very much appreciated.

I am in South Texas (5 min more south and Im in Mexico) and 99% of the homes are grade beams and slabs on grade foundations.

Foundation JPEG.JPG

Back