Looking in to starting Home Brewing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucktown PE

Reaction score
From reading a number of posts over the past few months I realized this might be a good place to get some advice for getting into home brewing. However, I don't want to spend a ton of money and I really only want to do it if I can produce it without increasing the amount of money I spend on beer. I think the process is fascinating and I am a bit of a chemistry/biology dork so I really have two reasons that I want to do this. 1.) Cheap beer, 2.) Education. If anyone has some 101 level advice I would definitely like to hear from you.

However, I don't want to spend a ton of money and I really only want to do it if I can produce it without increasing the amount of money I spend on beer.
Quit now, while you're still ahead.

I really have two reasons that I want to do this. 1.) Cheap beer, 2.) Education.
You can scratch #1, and put "The best beer you will ever have" in it's place.

Seriously, start-up costs for home brewing are in the neighborhood of $200. You need at least one large bucket or glass container for fermenting, but 2 are suggested. You need a siphon, thermometer, hydrometer, bottles, bottle capper, bottle filler, and a big enough pot to hold at least 3 gallons of liquid. Even after you get all of that, each batch of beer is going to cost a minimum of $30 which makes 5 gallons (about 2 cases) of beer. That is for the pre-assembled kits, which don't make the best beer. If you buy the extracts, grains, yeast, and hops separately, you are looking at more like $50. If you use all-grain recipes, you don't have to buy the extracts which will save you some money, but you have to either buy or assemble a lauter tun. Not to mention the fact that all-grain beer takes a hell of a lot longer to make.

BUT...ignoring the financial aspect of beer making, it is a very fun thing to do, especially for us science dork types. Plus, the beer that you get after all your investment and hard work is some of the best you will ever drink.

Its getting harder to make "cheap" beer. If you are a hop head like me its expensive at the hops are the most costly ingredient right now due to the hop shortage. But if you don't mind using kits, you can lower the costs and sometimes make very good beers.

The initial start up costs are in the ~$200 range.

Go here to see the starter kits: http://northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

you can look up ingredient kits there as well.

After that, look up "how to brew". I think there is a website (howtobrew.com) and it will step you through the process.

Pick up a copy of the Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charles Papazian too. That's must have. It's written in a fun, conversational tone and gets you in the right mood to brew.

I'd recommend a middle of the road starter kit. Get a pre-made ingredient kit, it has all the ingredients in the right amounts and instructions - takes out the guess work.

Make sure your kit comes with malt extract, specialty grains to steep, and hops. Avoid the all in one concentrate in a can, which is usually pretty crappy.

i was going to recommend papazian too- we both use that book all the time. its not too expensive to start, but you soon realize that you want better stuff and you spend more money. start saving bottles now, those are the hardest thing to come by at first.

Homebrewing is cheaper when you consider the quality of beer you'll be drinking, but you'll have to brew a lot of beer to recoup the initial investment of bottles, fermenters, etc. Plus, once you get started you'll want to upgrade your equipment.....etc...etc.

If you look at the price of microbrew per case ($25-30) vs about $18 per case for homebrew (not including equipment and time) it is cheaper.

Mizzoueng has the best advise. Visit the homebrew club and the local store!! Our store offers classes for perfecting your brew and the teacher supplies his latest brew for consumption during class!!

Back