Longshoreman: Could anyone do a worse job?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kephart P.E.

Reaction score
I think they might be the most overcompensated workers for doing the least competent job. Can any other Union/Trade compare?

Discuss.

I think it may depend on where you are. I did a stint as a quality inspector at the Houston Seaport. Those guys were moving non-frickin-stop, doing heavy, filthy work in the most ungodly sauna-esque weather in late July/early August. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job, but they were non-union, and making in the $20-$30/hr range.

Now if you're talking the unionized west coast glorified file clerk types making $150k-$200k a year and benefits that would make you drool, then I couldn't agree more.

These guys only make slightly over 100k a year, although most don't work more than 3 days a week either.

When I say Longshoreman I was referring to the Unionized version. A client had a barge show up, and the Longshoreman have to be called to tie up. He showed up in shorts and flip flops to a Bulk Petrochem Facility, then got testy when the gate guard asked to see his PPE.

He wouldn't wear FRC or eye protection or a life vest so they kicked him off site. I can't understand how they are still able to exist.

I think it may depend on where you are. I did a stint as a quality inspector at the Houston Seaport. Those guys were moving non-frickin-stop, doing heavy, filthy work in the most ungodly sauna-esque weather in late July/early August. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job, but they were non-union, and making in the $20-$30/hr range.
Now if you're talking the unionized west coast glorified file clerk types making $150k-$200k a year and benefits that would make you drool, then I couldn't agree more.

These guys only make slightly over 100k a year, although most don't work more than 3 days a week either.When I say Longshoreman I was referring to the Unionized version. A client had a barge show up, and the Longshoreman have to be called to tie up. He showed up in shorts and flip flops to a Bulk Petrochem Facility, then got testy when the gate guard asked to see his PPE.

He wouldn't wear FRC or eye protection or a life vest so they kicked him off site. I can't understand how they are still able to exist.

Nobody gains more from a union than the worst employee.

Back