License Number Assignments (California PE)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you have passed all exams in the last year or so, how long did it take you to be assigned a license number and the pocket card and wall certificate? It has been 6 weeks since I was notified that I passed my final exam and I haven't heard anything from the Board. It also looks like the Board only assigned 4 or 5 new numbers over the past four weeks, so at this rate, I don't think I'll have my license for a number of months (which really stinks as my employer and some of my clients are waiting on my official license number). Just trying to get an idea of what to tell them.

I passed my January exam and found out on February 4th. My license number was issued on March 4th and I just received my wall certificate last week (maybe Monday or Tuesday). Overall a little more than 2 months from exam results to wall certificate.

I passed my January exam and found out on February 4th. My license number was issued on March 4th and I just received my wall certificate last week (maybe Monday or Tuesday). Overall a little more than 2 months from exam results to wall certificate.
Thanks for the input!

If you have passed all exams in the last year or so, how long did it take you to be assigned a license number and the pocket card and wall certificate? It has been 6 weeks since I was notified that I passed my final exam and I haven't heard anything from the Board. It also looks like the Board only assigned 4 or 5 new numbers over the past four weeks, so at this rate, I don't think I'll have my license for a number of months (which really stinks as my employer and some of my clients are waiting on my official license number). Just trying to get an idea of what to tell them.
Please send me a PM with your full name and contact info. I'll verify status.

As a general related update, it is my understanding that more licenses were processed today and will appear by tomorrow morning in the online license search.

For me personally, it took over 12 weeks after DCA received my application (PE Electrical). I ran into some hiccups while my application was being processed, but here was my timeline below:

• Confirmed USPS delivery of application to CA BPELSG: 01/11/2021
  • Check cashed date: 02/22/2021
  • DCA Email stating my application was out on hold due to incomplete evaluation forms: 03/17/2021
  • Confirmed USPS delivery of updated engagement forms to CA BPELSG: 03/23/2021
  • Received DCA Email stating my application has been forwarded to technical review: 03/26/2021
  • *Confirmation DCA Email confirming my application has been technically approved: 04/06/2021
  • DCA Website is updated with my credentials and license no.: 04/09/2021

As to what to tell your employer and clients, I would say that you've passed your PE exam and that you're waiting for your official license from the state. Hurdle 1 is passing the exam - the 2nd hurdle is waiting for your license from the State :)

My structural license application took 4 1/2 months.... about 18 weeks. Exam October 2020, application November 1, 2020 License in Mid March.

Fairly frustrating since there are career impacts due to waiting for the license to officially process.

I got my last passing result on 5/10 and I am hoping I get my license number today (fingers crossed!), but I think more realistically it won't come til June. I just checked the PE lookup tool and they haven't released new licenses yet. I believe they release new licenses every two weeks on Friday though.

I got my last passing result on 5/10 and I am hoping I get my license number today (fingers crossed!), but I think more realistically it won't come til June. I just checked the PE lookup tool and they haven't released new licenses yet. I believe they release new licenses every two weeks on Friday though.
Could be this Friday or next. I typically check in on Saturday mornings.

When they are posted, where do we see it? do we just look up our name on bpelsg website?
I go to BPELSG website and do a civil engineer license search. Right now the highest license number is 92569. When 92570 shows up, it means they have added more numbers.

Congratulations to everyone who got their license numbers today!! I too got my test results on May 10th but my license number is not yet posted. Anyone else in same boat?
Just checked the license look up, license numbers have been issued up to #92674! 104 new license numbers!

Back