Laser Fusion

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING
Reaction score
Lawrence Livermore is about to test their Laser Fusion Reactor.

Scientists at a government lab here are trying to use the world's largest laser -- it's the size of three football fields -- to set off a nuclear reaction so intense that it will make a star bloom on the surface of the Earth.
If they're successful, the scientists hope to solve the global energy crisis by harnessing the energy generated by the mini-star.
This is interesting to say the least, but it says that they are at least 20 years from making the technology commercially viable. And that's assuming that the test works.

You ever notice how many things are 'twenty years away?' Seems things have been twenty years away all my life.

At least California will be wiped out first. I'll pencil this one in on my Mayan calendar.

We have the Swiss creating black holes with the LHC and the Americans making stars with the NIF. Pretty soon, we'll be able to build a whole solar system right here on Earth.

This is cool. Sure' they've been saying fusion power is 20 years away for something like the last 50 years, but they really do seem to be making some progress on the test equipment, though.

I think containment will probably be the next hurdle. They have to do that before they can sustain a reaction.

I think when it gets right down to it, that's been the real problem holding it back. Moderating it has to be difficult as well.

I think the problem has been starting, sustaining, containing, and utilizing the reaction. Other than that, it's all a piece of cake.

Back