Las Vegas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are currently building a by-pass bridge for the Hoover. I have pictures floating around here somewhere...

Hoover_1.JPG

Hoover_2.JPG

Last edited:
Oh, try the buffet at the Rio. There are two of them- if you like seafood, go to that one, but I hate seafood, so I go to the Around the World or whatever it's called and it's so very good.
You are the third person to mention Rio!
That's because it's really good! I don't typically like buffets, because the food is meh, but this one performs over and beyond.

The rides at the Stratosphere are insane. I love thrill rides, but I hated the one where it hangs off the roof. Our group of four was traumatized by it.

Very nice, Dex!

BTW I must tell you that I was looking at your avatar wrong for about a week...finally figured it out ... :tardbang:

Very nice, Dex!

BTW I must tell you that I was looking at your avatar wrong for about a week...finally figured it out ... :tardbang:
I figured it out immediately, but I've still been looking at it for a bout a week.

As far as the shows I really wanted to see the Beatles show Love but they are on hiatus this week :shakehead:
So we may go to Ka or O.
I'm one of those "freaks" who really doesn't like the Beatles, so that is the only Cirque show I haven't seen in Vegas (at least up until 2 years ago, I guess a couple new ones are out).

If I had to pick between Ka or O, I would definately recommend Ka.
we love cirque shows. We saw zumanity, O, and mystere while we were there, Ka was just too expensive even the farthest back tickets were like $150 dollars a piece. O was great as were the others. Mid-theater is probably the best seats. We got near front for ZUmanity and mystere and they were too close to get the whole picture. There is so much going on.

Any recommendations of stuff we can't miss or restaurants? We will only be there until Monday
I got married there back in October - there are LOTS of things to do!

Oh, try the buffet at the Rio. There are two of them- if you like seafood, go to that one, but I hate seafood, so I go to the Around the World or whatever it's called and it's so very good.
I wasn't that impressed with the so-called seafood buffet for $40 but then again I came from Florida where there was real seafood! ;) The Around the World buffet was pretty good for the price - lots of selections and takes you half a day to find your way around it.

I am not much of a buffet person and actually liked the ala carte restraunts, though they were quite pricey. I didn't mind since it was my wedding/honeymoon! :eyebrows:

As far as shows, you can't go wrong with either the Blue Man Group at the Venitian, or one of the Cirque De Soliel shows. I recommend "Ka" at MGM, "O" at Bellagio, or if you're in a sentual mood with the hubby try Zumanity at New York New York. Each of those shows can get pricey (some tickets run up to $150 each), but they are well worth it.
We went to see Phantom of the Opera - it was COMPLETELY awesome! We also saw Penn & Teller and that was pretty good too. Prices vary but I think the shows are *WELL* worth it!

There are plenty of 'free' shows as well as you walk up and down the strip. The Bellagio has the foutain show, Treasure Island has the Sirens of Treasure Island show, etc. Try to get a guide of sights since you will want to plan your trips out.

Also, if you like NASCAR style racing - you can go to Pole Position to drive battery-operated go karts that can go 45 MPH. It's really an impressive track and experience - did that for my bachelor party.

You're only 90 miles from the Hoover Dam - a pilgrimage every engineer should make at some point.
Can't drive across it anymore though, can you?
I visited the dam while I was there too. You can drive across the dam still BUT the site visits are done from the Nevada side only.

I have a Vegas story. I wonder how many people do!
Hmmm .. I have MULTIPLE Vegas stories! :eyebrows:

JR

They were just building the abutments when I was there (May 06), so it's cool to see the finished pics.

Now that is a bridge from nowhere, to nowhere if you ask me. Looks real nice though.

Can't drive across it anymore though, can you?
I did 3 years ago. The security goons weren't even that bad. Wasn't a big deal.

Though at the time it seemed like they were building a bypass route for trucks. Not sure if it opened yet.

And that's not much help to me as Japanese seafood is not in my diet.
I quite enjoy it actually. Good thing we agree on $2 pints.
It hasn't opened but its pretty awesome lookingWebsite

As far as shows, you can't go wrong with either the Blue Man Group at the Venitian, or one of the Cirque De Soliel shows. I recommend "Ka" at MGM, "O" at Bellagio, or if you're in a sentual mood with the hubby try Zumanity at New York New York. ...

we love cirque shows. We saw zumanity...
And thus the appearance of mini-snick

I wish I had seen this earlier, I was actually out there at the same time!

The Rodeo finals were there, and we have a group that go every year for that. It's ALWAYS a big time, and this year was no exception.

I also will say that for the FIRST TIME ever I came back with about $200 more than I took! my trip ended up being almost free including the flight out and back. Now that's a great Vegas trip!

I bet that was fun. I attended a small time rodeo in Jackson, WY a couple years back as an icebreaker when my parents met my wife's parents. We had front row '50 yard line' seats. It was a really great time. And totally not something you'd find around the northeast.

I hope they check out the car musuem at the Imperial Palace. "Eleanor" is there and she is one beautiful lady!

Back