Kitchen Cabinets

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodSlinger

Reaction score
I've ran out of people to vent to, so here I am. I got the cabinet quote for a kitchen remodel I plan on starting this spring. Over 19 K for 40 lineal feet of cabinets. Almost $500 a foot for barely semi-custom cabinets. I'm disgusted. I'm not looking forward to starting this process over again.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good quality, reasonably priced, cabinet line? Due to the footprint, and such, of my kitchen, stock cabinets from the big box store won't really work. I need a semi-custom option.

do you have RP lumbers out by you? They can get semi custom and were WAY cheaper than menard lowes HD stores

the same cabinets at the big stores were almost $10k when we priced for our kitchen remodel. WE got them at RP for about $3k

Aren't you the guy that was thinking about quitting engineering to be a full-time woodworker in the near future? I would think that for an experienced woodworker, busting out a kitchen full of cabinets would be a snap.

Kitchen cabinets are quite easy to build if you have the tools, time, and some common sense. They get more challenging as you start "customizing" and adding unique features (such as moving parts other than doors).

I know when we start to finish the basement in the new house, I plan on doing alot of the cabinetry work for the wetbar.

Aren't you the guy that was thinking about quitting engineering to be a full-time woodworker in the near future? I would think that for an experienced woodworker, busting out a kitchen full of cabinets would be a snap.
You are correct, that's me. I've built a number of bathroom vanities, closet built-ins, colonnades, etc. Doing smaller scale cabinetry work, without a real pending time line, is manageable. I'm afraid, however, the amount of time required to build an entire kitchens worth of cabinets would be too time consuming. I would guess it would take me six months to a year, if I was lucky. Not to mention, where do I store the cabinets while I'm waiting to put them in. It just isn't practicle. If I had a big shop with lots of storage, maybe, but I have a small section of my basement for my shop with no storage. Having to work full time, being a husband, and father of three little kids doesn't leave much time.

Therefore, I need to buy them.

I think you just need to shop around some more, I do know its a pain in the ass and very frustrating, but I think you should get at least two quotes to see how far apart they are.

Are you using a special grade of wood thats making it so high? that does sound high unless that includes granite, hardware, sink, etc??

I think you just need to shop around some more, I do know its a pain in the ass and very frustrating, but I think you should get at least two quotes to see how far apart they are.
Are you using a special grade of wood thats making it so high? that does sound high unless that includes granite, hardware, sink, etc??
Nothing fancy on the wood, red oak. The price was just for cabinets. The pulls were not even included. In my limited experience in how much this quantity of cabinets usually would cost, I'm pretty much of the opinion that there was an attempt made to steal my money.

Back