Kindle vs. Nook

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has a nook (the older black &white version) and she loves it. The only reason she got that instead of the kindle is that nook has more flexibility with where/who you could buy and download from (at least at the time she bought it).
I think it just boils down to personal preference with the device itself and the features each offers.
I believe the nook does have greater flexibility in downloading ebooks - Is the only place you can get ebooks etc for the Kindle thru Amazon? I know libraries will frequently have an ebook option, and the nook can download those whereas I don't think the kindle can. Also, something to do with key pad difference...the kindle has a physical keypad, and the nook is completely touchscreen - or something like that

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know if this will effect your decision but there are rumors going around that Borders is considering buying B&N.
Wow, really? I thought Borders was on the way out, since all the Waldensbooks have closed or had MAJOR downsizings down here.

EDIT: Looks like Borders is doing OK, but they are pretty much all but closing Waldenbooks....

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKN0146844920090401

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife has a nook (the older black &white version) and she loves it. The only reason she got that instead of the kindle is that nook has more flexibility with where/who you could buy and download from (at least at the time she bought it).
I think it just boils down to personal preference with the device itself and the features each offers.
I believe the nook does have greater flexibility in downloading ebooks - Is the only place you can get ebooks etc for the Kindle thru Amazon? I know libraries will frequently have an ebook option, and the nook can download those whereas I don't think the kindle can. Also, something to do with key pad difference...the kindle has a physical keypad, and the nook is completely touchscreen - or something like that
The touchscreen is only a 2" window across the bottom. The main screen is view only.

Basically from a user standpoint, the Nook and Kindle are very similiar, at least in the basic models.

I went with the Nook because it will download ePub books and Kindle won't

THat means I can go on Google books download things and read them. And if you just have PDF files they open just fine on my Nooke. Or I can use the B&N ebooks.

Kindle you have to use Amazon, for many people that is just fine.

Sony makes an even cheaper reader if you don't want Mobile service and are just going to download over your PC than transfer to your reader.

Got my wife a kindle after having the same debate last month. The screen is fantastic, it's like reading a real book. Battery lasts FOREVER. The nook is color, but it doesn't really make much of a difference unless you're reading magazines. Also the nook screen is an LCD I think, so the battery doesnt last as long and it's definitely not as easy on the eyes. Backlit LCD screens can give you a really bad headache after a while for reading, but the kindle doesn't have that problem. I went with the 3G version so we can use it while living overseas next year with possibly questionable wifi.

Also the nook screen is an LCD I think, so the battery doesnt last as long and it's definitely not as easy on the eyes. Backlit LCD screens can give you a really bad headache after a while for reading, but the kindle doesn't have that problem.
the nook is not backlit - at least the b&w version. you still need a light to read it, as you would w/ a kindle when it gets dark.

There is basically no difference between the "screen" on my Nook and my friend's Kindle.

And actually my B&W Nook runs a bit longer on a charge than here Kindle, but I also always turn it to Airplane mode.

YOu know one thing I really hate? The location of the charge plug, if you are laying in bed reading, and you need to charge it up the plug in sticks out the bottom making it awkward. Personnally that is my biggest complaint.

The Nook also used to be a bit buggy when I first got it, but the firmware updates have made huge improvements.

I liked the Kindle 2 but I have to say the Nook 2 with free wifi is the shiz-nic. The kindle is better for reading outside in the sun, so if you like going to parks to read, get the kindle. If you like reading in-side, get the nook.

I would buy the one that fits the need better - just my 2 cents

After my original post, my wife tested out the Pandigital reader and it sucked balls.

She went back traded it out and got a basic b/w nook for about $30 more.

She loves it so far. Also got one for the MIL so they can share books.

Back