Kids of EB

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As someone that that their first child at 37, and my spouse was 33, I have to agree with those who mentioned waiting.

I can't count the times I have said, glad I was 37 and not 27. I spend my early twenties/late teens in the Army, my middle twenties in college, had almost a decade of decent earnings and had bought most of my big purchases and paid off bills before MiniKep made his appearance.

Obviously some people have kids in their twenties, but for me, that wouldn't have been ideal AT ALL. I wanted to go out on Fridays, spend Saturday recovering, and go hiking/fishing/ww rafting on a Sunday and out to dinner on Sunday night. If I had a kid 10 years ago I would be either regretting the time I missed out or regretting I dumped him/her off on my parents too often.

You don't have time for hobbies or activities. Heck just getting house work done and everyone fed is quite a deal. Further there is no way with what I made in my twenties I could afford to have my spouse be a stay at home mom. <---- and that is a bigger deal than you can imagine and you won't realize it until you have that little baby.

BTW any single parents out there? If so those people are some sort of superheros, I dunno how you can possibly even survive that. Therefore, be VERY sure you have the right PARTNER, before you get pregnant.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry dude. Based on a lifespan of 80, 40 yo is "middle aged". You want to have kids while you're young. To each his own.

I've said it before, I am excited over the fact that my kids will be graduated from HS before I'm 45 and college before I'm 50. At that point, I will be making fatty money to truly enjoy my Friday nights, Saturday sleep-ins, and Sunday golf outings... (not even counting the fact that my kids are already approaching the age where they can join me in doing these things already)

Sure I wish the money was there to buy all the big things before the kids came along, but my wife and I have managed to get along just fine without it.

I'm not saying one way is globally better than the other, but I know the path I chose has treated me fairly well so far. You obviously enjoy the path you chose, and I'm happy for you.

Speaking of enjoing time with the kiddos, my 7yr old son is really taking to golf. We will go to the driving range and each hit a bucket of balls, and over the last couple of months he has started to develop a nice smooth swing and decent distance (especially considering this is his first summer with his own clubs). I'm hoping to take him out to a par-3 course by the end of the summer to see how he handles it.

snick - we didnt figure it out till our 2nd child but once you committ to starting potty training, do not use the pull ups, make them wear the thick underwear and shit and pee on themselves, its messy at first but it makes them realize early on in the training that there is no safety net..

our 1st kid we used the pull ups and i think that added 3-5 months to the process..

an old lady told us that the reason it took us kids so long to potty train eas because the kids new they had the backup (training pants) and would continue to go until you took them away and made them wear the normal underwear..

Our 2 & 3rd childs we did no pull ups / training pants and it went much much faster.....

but all in all dont listen to the old timers that tell you they potty trained there kids at 12-16 months cause they are full of shit!

^^^my SIL had a great idea along those lines...you still put them in underpants so they still get the feeling of being wet and have the excitement of big-boy pants, but use pull-ups as a diaper cover. This works really well when they are in later potty-training for getting through the night...

We let the peer pressure of the other daycare kids take care of potty training. When the other kids in school were using the potty, no one wanted to be the "baby" wearing diapers anymore. That's not to say we still didn't have accidents. My last house had a few dark stains in the carpet because of our daughter. I left them there because our landlord was a douche.

Today is mini-ble2's first birthday! I can't believe that she is a year old already, where does the time go?? She's not walking yet, but she seems to be on the verge. Can't wait to see her dig into her birthday cake tonight...

Last night mini-kevo started basically walking.

For maybe a month, she would take 3-4 steps and then fall down. Last night she was walking and then did a 180 degree turn and then walked back.

She was also walking like a T-rex!!

I guess we can mark another item off the childhood must-do list. Little Flyer fell and broke his arm yesterday evening. Broke both bones in his left arm about two inches up from the growth plate. He's a pretty tough little guy though. The ER doctor gave him a choice of being knocked unconscious for a few minutes while they set it or just dealing with the pain. He chose being awake over being stuck with the needle. Screamed bloody murder for a few seconds when they set it but was pretty much ok a minute or two later. Tracking down an orthopedic to look at it and set up the permanent cast today.

Thats not good...hope he heals quickly Flyer. Strong litlle man you have there.

I'm just waiting for that happen...minisnick is such a climber and jumper I know it is just a matter of when than if...

not sure if minisnick just likes to keep daycare and home separate or what. He doesn't really talk about the other kids at daycare while at home, but I noticed this week when dropping off/picking up he has started using the kids names...as well as he can say them that is. When we see kids from daycare out and about in town the parents usually say SO this is minisnick...we hear all about him, Sara (or whoever) doesn't shut up about him.

not sure if minisnick just likes to keep daycare and home separate or what. He doesn't really talk about the other kids at daycare while at home,
I noticed the same thing w/ my son compared to my daughter. She goes on at length about her friends/ classmates; son, not so much, though he is very social & plays well with others lol. I almost think its just a gender thing(?)

Minisnick put his foot down figuratively speaking this evening. When I picked him up from daycare tonight as we were leaving one of the summer kids said bye baby minisnick. Minisnick turned around with a pissed off look on his face and yelled back "I not a baby, my name is minisnick!!!!!!!!!!!!" He said it again when another of the kids that just walked into the room said the same bye baby minisnick.

Jack does the same thing, but only when it works in his favor. If you try and call him Baby Jack he gets really mad and will yell at you "I'm not a baby, I'm a boy!!!" If you try and get him to do something he doesn't want to, "I can't, I'm just a baby".

Mini-ble is starting to do something similar, but it involves eating. We have been telling him when he's being fussy about finishing his meal that he needs to eat so he can grow big and strong like daddy. Now he will tell you I don't want to grow big and strong, I want to stay little.

Back