July 4, 1976

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 9. I remember MI came out with these patriotic bicentennial license plates, which for some reason became the last issued plate for state govt vehicles.

Also I remember that we finally got the illustrious Jimmy Carter in the White House and now there was going to be some Hope and Change by-golly (especially with that winner Mondale by his side).
I believe i have a presidential fitness certificate from grade school somewhere with old Jimbo's signature on it :D

I believe i have a presidential fitness certificate from grade school somewhere with old Jimbo's signature on it :D
BUWAHAHA, I forgot all about those certificates. I think I have two or three of them myself.

yeah, you used to get a patch out of the deal too. as i recall, they weren't all that easy to achieve (1 part involved 25 chinups :blink: )

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom was busy complaining how awful it was being pregnant with me during the hottest summer on record in East TN, and driving a '68 Mustang with no AC. Dang I wish they'd kept that car. It was midnight blue and full of chrome - gorgeous.

and that's my 25th post! hooray!
Only quality, engineering based comments count toward the magic number of 25. Spam like this is omitted from your tally.
if this were true VT, you wouldn't be eligible for the banner either. ;)

a few weeks into my first job, with a new CJ-7, drinking beer most likely at the Windjammer on the Isle of Palms (before air conditioning invaded) the beaches of SC.

I was 8 and I vividly remember watching the fireworks show in Washington, DC, from the roof of the US Forest Service Headquarters, which was across the river (Arlington?) and was my Dad's office. Bicentennial in the nation's capitol was a HUGE deal at the time. Remember the bicentennial quarters?

I was still shitting in my pants, ..... er wait.... that was yesterday.

I was 1.5 then, and probably didn't give a hoot

Remember the bicentennial quarters?
My wife still collects them when she finds them. There are an awful lot still out there.

Anyone remember the Freedom Train? Big red/white/blue stam locomotice that toured the states in 1976. I saw it, but dont remember anything about the displays inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife still collects them when she finds them. There are an awful lot still out there.
Anyone remember the Freedom Train? Big red/white/blue stam locomotice that toured the states in 1976. I saw it, but dont remember anything about the displays inside.
I remember that thing. We were living in St. Louis at the time. Our 3rd-grade field trip was to go see the train down by the arch. I don't remember what the exhibits were either.

The only other thing I remember about 1976 is that was the Summer my uncle decided that I was old enough (9) to run the baler without fear that I would break anything. It freed up one more bigger person to throw 85lb hay bales.

Back