Job Market for Civil/structural industry in bay area

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calicivileng

Reaction score
I moved to bay area 1.5 years ago(in jan2009) and since then I am actively looking for a job. I was working in Houston earlier with a design firm for 7 years doing building design for residential and small commercial(hotel/motel, retail centers, mall lease space improvements, office buildings) structures.

I must have applied to atleast 100 different places in bay area (regardless of size of the company and also on entry level and intern positions) but unfortunately no reply. One or two people did reply and mentioned they are not hiring right now. I can see openings in transportation, environmental and civil industry but not in structural industry. I would like to move to civil side but right now no one is ready to hire an entry level person. Does any body have any idea if any company is hiring right now? Can anybody provide me a lead here? I really need to get back to work. I even tried to find some part time drafting job to get myself going but no luck. I really don't know where to start and I don't know anybody in this field here in this area. I can't move out of this area because of family.

I keep hearing from people that solar/PV has many opportunities. I tried there also, applied to many different companies from designer to drafter's positions, but again no luck there also. I am also preparing for PE exam for this October for CA.

Appreciate all your suggestions. Thank you.

Back