Jeep Complainers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petergibbons

Reaction score
OK, I gotta vent for a sec. I hate it when people comlain that Jeeps or any other SUVs are top heavy or are "dangerous in the rain". I own a Jeep Liberty and have NEVER felt like it was going to tip over in a sharp curve or break loose in the rain. Of course, I feel like I am a good and cautious driver and am aware of conditions at all times and I alter my driving accordingly. A woman here at work told me here at work a couple of years ago after I bought my Jeep that she would never own another Jeep because she "felt like the vehicle was in control of her instead of her being in control of the vehicle" and my boss says that he doesn't like to drive a Jeep in the rain because it gets "squirly". Hey genious, you can lighten up on that peddle in the rain! These people need to learn how to fucking drive. :brick: OK, I feel much better now.

I drive an Isuzu Rodeo, but similar concept. I owned a Jeep Cherokee in the past, which is still my favorite vehicle I've had.

I haven't had any problems either.

I'm not sure I understand their concern either.

I laugh about the rain comment, my jeep has 33 IN tall tires, wider than most regular cars & SUV's, the treads for the water are about 3X the width of a traditional car, therefore it has more surface are in contact with the road, and wider tread gives you a better ride in the rain.

Also note: an SUV is not a Jeep ®

Being a Jeep Owner isnt something thats for everyone.

OK, I gotta vent for a sec. I hate it when people comlain that Jeeps or any other SUVs are top heavy or are "dangerous in the rain". I own a Jeep Liberty and have NEVER felt like it was going to tip over in a sharp curve or break loose in the rain. Of course, I feel like I am a good and cautious driver and am aware of conditions at all times and I alter my driving accordingly. A woman here at work told me here at work a couple of years ago after I bought my Jeep that she would never own another Jeep because she "felt like the vehicle was in control of her instead of her being in control of the vehicle" and my boss says that he doesn't like to drive a Jeep in the rain because it gets "squirly". Hey genious, you can lighten up on that peddle in the rain! These people need to learn how to fucking drive. :brick: OK, I feel much better now.
I drive a liberty, and here is a picture from work today.

I let off the gas to slow to 45 and cruise right thru. abunch of sport sedans (audi types) speed by at 70, but I'm not sure what model exactly because they are upside down in the ditch.

I am sure that gets old, but man I would kill for some snow like that down here..

People here drive like their crazy in the snow. "Well, I've lived in New England all my life, I practically invented driving in the stuff."

I see so many cars off the road on moderately snowy days that I can't fathom how they did it.

On a miserable day with a foot of snow, accidents happen. But we get like 2 inches on the road a lot, just enough to make you want to be extra cautious. And people still drive to go 70 on the highway. Dumbasses.

we mainly get a lot of icey roads down here, which all the carpet baggers think they can drive on, dumbasses, no one can drive on Ice..

When we have our 1 snow/ice day each winter, I enjoy driving to work, I drive the jeep fairly slow, I have a winch, 4WD, etc, and some tool in a nissan stanza passes me driving 60 / 45, I normally keep on driving by them when I finally reach them up the road when some of them have driven off into a ditch.

Though sometimes I will honk, tap on the breaks and act like I am going to turn around, then I have another sip of dunkin donuts coffee, and enjoy the drive..

I also like the subaru owners that think AWD is the same as 4WD...

Last edited by a moderator:
Also note: an SUV is not a Jeep ?
BUT,

I gotta give a but on that one.

I agree that Jeep makes the best 4wd ever in the overall scope of things, but I owned two Jeep Cherokee Sports, I bought them both new off the lot. One was a '98 (first new vehicle ever) the other was a 2000. They both had the sport package with the command trac, and 4.0L engine. They ran great. Next, I got a Chevy Blazer, it had a 4.3L V6 and rode smoother, was much more luxurious, but was a dog compared to the Jeeps. The Blazer was a nicer ride, but the Jeep a MUCH better 4WD.

Now I have a 2004 Chevy TrailBlazer with the V8 HO package, 305HP 335 TQ, and it has the tow package, oversized 4 wheel disk, 12,000lb capacity, etc. etc.

The TrailBlazer blows all the others I've had away. My '98 Jeep I actually took 'rootin' on 4-wheeler trails before, and it did great because it was small. Other than that, it could not hold a candle to what the TrailBlazer is capable of doing.

Of course, this is comparing basically stock vehicles. If you've got 33's on a Jeep, than I wouldn't want any part of that thing off road. I got 265/75 R17's, LOL.

Another quick good one. Really pissed my brother-in-law off.

We had a moving van of my buddies, and took it around the back of my house to unload stuff into my basement. My basement daylights out into the back, so there is a one story slope of the ground from the front to the back of my house. It was wet that day, and that 2-wheel drive van got "hung up" in my back yard. Funny as hell, tore all my grass out.

My brother in law had his Grand Cherokee there, and said, "It's got the V8 in it, I'll pull ya right out", He went over the bank, got hung up down there as well. It's a 4WD.

I brought the TrailBlazer around, pulled my B-I-L out, then pulled the van out with him driving it.

I still give him a hard time.

Fact is: he has NO idea how to drive. He got tension on the tow rope, then gunned it. Dug a hole right then.

It was fun. My grass is almost recovered.

Wow, where you at cement?
I'm in colorado, I work in construction in the mountain region for the DOT. :BK:
The Mountain region you say, that must encompass, what, the entire state? :p

Nah, I've been to CO a couple times. Isn't the rule that if you're lost, the mtns are to the west?
The mountains are half the state, the east is just like nebraska.

That is funny about directions. When you are in Denver, or Boulder or Colorado Springs, you are where the high plains meet the mountains. So everybody gives directions by compass point. Go north 10 blocks, then head west 3 blocks then turn south on main. since the mountains are always looming in the west, you can't go wrong.

well Dvinny, being a Wrangler owner you see I dont consider a Cherokee a "real Jeep" nor a liberty, commander,etc :p

Just old school Jeep humor, dont kill me liberty owners, even though its true, I mean you know I am kidding...

Yup, a Wrangler or any old CJ, are the REAL DEAL. Especially with 33's. I'd never doubt that.

My Father in Law has a '53 Willy's Jeep. It's the Real deal too. Old school style.

well to be honest I have been pulled out by an XJ before (XJ=cherokee) but it was heavily modified, the kid had even removed the doors (why I dont know..) when I was in JAX down by the beach at low tide there were some islands created, we were driving into the ocean from island to island, I finally got stuck and had to get yanked out by the XJ..

jeep_jax.jpg

Have you seen the new 4 door wranglers? something about them, but they all seem ugly as hell to me, I dont know if its the funky fenders or what, but I really had my sites set on buying one... maybe I just need to see one lifted..

I cant recall the name of this carrier, but it was in dock while we were wheeling, it made for a nice backdrop......

006_06.jpg

Back