It's Friday!!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catbernet.jpg

I LEAVE FOR EUROPE TOMORROW AND THEN ONLY HAVE ONE WORKING FRIDAY LEFT EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

^ don't most engineering positions utilize flex-time? :dunno:

As long as you get your 40+ hours in, who cares what days one is actually in the office?

As long as you get your 40+ hours in, who cares what days one is actually in the office?
I think in structural field it's hard for engineers to have extremely flexible schedules since availability to clients / architects to resolve problems or give Guidance in a timely fashion is important and unpredictable when it will need to be utilized. The real-time coordination is hard to detach completely from, and I know I don't want any architects knowing my personal cell number! 

I think in structural field it's hard for engineers to have extremely flexible schedules since availability to clients / architects to resolve problems or give Guidance in a timely fashion is important and unpredictable when it will need to be utilized. The real-time coordination is hard to detach completely from, and I know I don't want any architects knowing my personal cell number! 
i-wonder-how-the-architect-amp-039-s-home-look-like_o_5842589.jpg

That's why the company provides you a cell phone.  If you truly want a personal cell number you need to have two phones.  I just use the single company provided cell phone for bioth work and personal use.  However, I do not list my cell number in my email signature...only my desk phone.  Desk phone voice messages get recorded and emailed to us so I don't forward my desk phone to my cell either.

Or if you have government clients, seems problems always happen on Fridays – I was supposed to be off last Friday but our bridge folks fucked up some rebar details and I had to spend all day calming the client down after our idiot bridge guy told them that an extra $10 grand in rebar wasn’t really “a lot of money” – too which the client replied, great just send us a check!

ehh sorta but not really. I don't have set office hours per se, but I'm expected to be working during certain core hours on certain days. Considerable flexibility outside of that 5.5 hr window though.

I can understand having the need to have one warm body in the office at all times in some types of engineering (operations, emergency management and response, etc)

Back