Is P.E. an overrated status?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello there,

Just to let you know. Here is my answer to an invitation to a face to face interview from the infamous company. I did not include all the details and, of course, did not finish with BRING IT ON!!!!!...

"Thanks for your interview invitation but after our conversation last Monday, September 18th, I have decided not to pursue the position anymore. I had another vision about your company, different that the one showed to me during the phone interview, which made me change my mind.

Every year hundreds or probably thousands of engineers sacrifice family and friends to prepare themselves for the PE test. Some do that looking for better professional opportunities, others to reach a personal goals and others because it is required to them by their superiors. No matter the reason why they are looking their license the truth is that it is a big deal for them. It was a big deal for me too.

As far as I know you cannot buy a P.E. license. It is not for sell. You have to work hard to get it and believe me, it is not easy. Your comments in our conversation showed me your company do not value the PE license and I would not be interested in working in a company like that.

Thanks for the chance of the phone interview and again, for the invitation for a face to face interview. I appreciated it."

I signed the e-mail with luis_pr,P.E. ( I used my real name with the P.E. in bold letters). Now I feel better.

;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns;

Good for you! Hopefully they will learn from the process. I admire you for standing up and professionally telling them how you really feel.

Ed

Ouch....

I'm going to make a couple assumptions here:

1) Your phone interview was just an informal interview with some non-Engineer from HR

2) The Engineering types were impressed enough by your resume that they wanted to do a face to face interview

I'd love to see what happens when your letter shows up on the desk of some principal engineer there and he figures out what their HR guy is telling people.

LUIS,

YOU FREAKIN ROCK BRO!!!!!!!!!!

That email is awesome and you should be congratulated on taking a stance for all engineers. Good job!!!!!

admirable. they deserved that. What kind of an engineer are you? Send me your resume... maybe I can find something for you within my company... we have lots of engineers of all kinds... (over 16'000 engineers) and offices all over the world.

Bring it on!!!

It doesn't help when some companies hand out engineering titles like candy. HR departments should learn that they aren't getting their money's worth by handing an engineering title and $$ to the secretary, when they could get by with some sort of tech title.

Several large companies have also made it standard practice to lay off PE's usually because the managers have no clue what a real engineer is. This really discourages good engineers from obtaining the PE license when they see peers get punished for it.

I am the exception in my company so far, but I kept my head low when I was going for the PE. I didn't announce what I did until after I got my license. (a lot of management here worked their way up through the field or were called engineers in the military so they think they are entitled to be an engineer (legal or not))

I would love to get the respect of being an PE and do the challenging work of a PE, but any other job would be a step back in $$ and benifits.

Hello there,
Just to let you know. Here is my answer to an invitation to a face to face interview from the infamous company. I did not include all the details and, of course, did not finish with BRING IT ON!!!!!...

"Thanks for your interview invitation but after our conversation last Monday, September 18th, I have decided not to pursue the position anymore. I had another vision about your company, different that the one showed to me during the phone interview, which made me change my mind.

Every year hundreds or probably thousands of engineers sacrifice family and friends to prepare themselves for the PE test. Some do that looking for better professional opportunities, others to reach a personal goals and others because it is required to them by their superiors. No matter the reason why they are looking their license the truth is that it is a big deal for them. It was a big deal for me too.

As far as I know you cannot buy a P.E. license. It is not for sell. You have to work hard to get it and believe me, it is not easy. Your comments in our conversation showed me your company do not value the PE license and I would not be interested in working in a company like that.

Thanks for the chance of the phone interview and again, for the invitation for a face to face interview. I appreciated it."

I signed the e-mail with luis_pr,P.E. ( I used my real name with the P.E. in bold letters). Now I feel better.

;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns; ;guns;
I don't blame you for having no desire to work for an employer like that. Your letter sums it up pretty good.

oh, if you didn't send it out yet --- As far as I know, you can not buy a P.E. license. It is not for sale.

I've been in Florida for over 23 years. It's changed quite a bit and your right, saleries do not match the inflation cost. Home prices are nuts along with outragous property taxes and home owner insurance (if you can even find some after getting droped). I don't even know how the seniors even make it on a fixed income. Hopefully someone with authority will wake up and do something to stop the madness.

I know a few people who left Florida already. It's very possible I'm on my way out of this state as well.

Anyways, good luck with your search.

Latest posts

Back