Is displaying the Ten Commandments on state grounds unconstitutional? One atheist group thinks so.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to go for a walk and try to find something to sue someone about...
see, I wholehearted agree with you EG. This is madness and your comment is the real reason for me posting this. Too many people offended by too many things and thinking that they owed something for it.

No, because the separation of church and state isn't in the Constitution...

The exact term is an offshoot of the phrase, "wall of separation between church and state", as written in Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802. In that letter, referencing the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, Jefferson writes: "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."

Meh, although I'm not religious, I don't really care either way about the commandments in a public place. Assuming they give equal access to all religions.

However, I disagree with thinking the questioning of this is "madness." The moment we start thinking it is wrong to question our government we might as well give up our freedom.

The context of my statement is questioning the government, although that is a completely different debate. I was referring to all of the politically correctness going on where everyone is offended by everything. The movie P. C. U. had it right a decade early.

Soon we are going to start banning words from our vocabulary. This world has gotten so out of hand in the past 10-15 years it's ridiculous.

This world has gotten so out of hand in the past 10-15 years it's ridiculous.

Blame it on the media. They have to fill all that air time with something, even if it is a BS local issue that would have only made page six of the local papers as recently as the early nineties.

Blame it on the media. They have to fill all that air time with something, even if it is a BS local issue that would have only made page six of the local papers as recently as the early nineties.

I partially agree. While the media has become reason for less than important topics becoming so, I also blame our legal system. Lawyers exploit the legal system and entice everyone to be litigious, as if everyone is entitled to more.

movies like Support you local Sherrif and Blazing saddles wouldn't be allowed to be made now adays. I really like both of them btw...total Mel Brooks fans here.

Yet somehow they can get away with the things said in a movie like "Ride Along"... I can't remember what the quote was in the ad I saw on tv, but I wondered "why isn't that considered offensive?"

I partially agree. While the media has become reason for less than important topics becoming so, I also blame our legal system. Lawyers exploit the legal system and entice everyone to be litigious, as if everyone is entitled to more.

Well, do you think the lawyers would take on these cases if it wasn't for the free publicity afforded by media coverage? I don't.

Well, do you think the lawyers would take on these cases if it wasn't for the free publicity afforded by media coverage? I don't.

And I agree with that also. I guess each goes hand in hand in this situation.

Back