End the Ethanol Insanity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
"First-generation [corn] ethanol, I think, was a mistake. The energy conversion ratios are at best very small." —Al Gore, speaking at a green energy conference on Nov. 22, 2010
"Ethanol is not an ideal transportation fuel. The future of transportation fuels shouldn't involve ethanol." —Energy Secretary Steven Chu, Nov. 29, 2010

It is now conceivable that the myth of ethanol as the salvation for America's energy problem is coming to an end. And maybe we always should have known it would wind up in italics, underlined, with the real facts of the damage ethanol can do to gas-powered motors laid out for all to see in a court of law. I say that because this past Monday a group calling itself the Engine Products Group, comprising small-engine manufacturers, automakers, and boat manufacturers, filed suit in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia to vacate the EPA's October ruling that using a 15 percent blend of ethanol in the nation's fuel supplies would not harm 2007 and newer vehicles.

Each group of plaintiffs in this case has a different reason for objecting to putting more ethanol into America's gasoline. The automakers claim they have no idea whether a higher percentage of ethanol would damage their newer cars—and won't know until their testing is completed next year. The boat manufacturers claim their engines stay in service much longer, and are therefore more likely to be damaged by this fuel. The small-engine manufacturers are positive E15 would severely shorten the life of their products. According to The Washington Post, that's already been happening. The source is Mick Matuskey, co-owner of Power and Lawn Equipment of Gaithersburg, Md., who said, "You're getting half of the life out of the product today [when using E10 ethanol], compared to 30, 40 years ago."

Ultimately this lawsuit stems from one major issue: Manufacturers have to take legal action to protect their customers from the damage higher blends of ethanol would do to their motors, because their warranties generally don't cover it.

Of course, no such lawsuit would be complete without the ethanol lobby trying to obfuscate the facts of the case. Reuters quoted Tom Buis, head of lobbying group Growth Energy, as saying of the new proposed fuel, "E15 is safe for all vehicles on the road today."

That's patently untrue. For years cars nationwide have been damaged when motorists ended up with more than 10 percent ethanol in their fuel. I covered that situation last year in "The Great Ethanol Scam."

But ethanol's newest public-relations problem actually started in the last eight days of November. Having been fervidly pro-ethanol in the last decade of his political career, former Vice-President Al Gore reversed course and apologized for supporting ethanol. Of course, Gore's reason for taking his original position was perfectly understandable—to a politician. As he told energy conference attendees in Athens, Greece, "One of the reasons I made that mistake is that I paid particular attention to the farmers in my home state of Tennessee, and I had a certain fondness for the farmers of Iowa because I was about to run for President."

Translated from politics-speak into English: Pandering to farmers gets votes. But if your claimed position is to plan some sort of smart energy policy for America, then getting farmers' votes shouldn't be the deciding factor.
More at: http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/cont...mpaign_id=msnbc

1st generation ethanol only has an energy gain of 15%, and that may be eaten up in transportation costs to the market. That doesn't factor in other resource costs such as water.

2nd and 3rd generation ethanol has 300% and above energy gains, but hard to produce close to markets and not near decent water sources.

That doesn't take into account that many vehicles have not been engineered to handle higher levels of ethanol, and people try to use cheaper fuel that their equipment is not engineered for.

its only cheaper because it is subsidized. Get rid of that and people wont be buying it anymore because it will be more expensive than the plain stuff

I have been shouting this from the rooftops for years. People look at me like I'm crazy. The corn subsidies must end. The sugar cane import tariffs must end.

Ethanol and HFCS are both terrible substances for our economy, and our health.

Almost ashamed that I admit that I agree with AlGor on something, but I do.

Politics is the only prism through which ethanol looks like a good idea. It's going to be with us for quite a while I'm afraid.

its only cheaper because it is subsidized. Get rid of that and people wont be buying it anymore because it will be more expensive than the plain stuff
Next gen can be produced at $1 a gallon or cheaper.

Give me a carbon source, a gasifier, some water, and some chicken poop for the bioreactor (has the bacteria required to convert syn-gas to ethanol), and I can make 5% ethanol that needs distilled.

We could mine trash dumps, or easily grown switchgrass in arid areas for the carbon source. We could even convert coal to syngas for use in the reactor.

We need to get rid of 1st generation reactors and processes.

(just adding a little devils advocate to the discussion, agree on corn ethanol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly enough, when the founders of Tesla started the company, they tried to figure out the amount of arable land required just for vehicle fuel in the US. It came out to be all of it.

Can ethanol be used in civil aviation, Flyer?
Not only no, but hell no! It has a lot of problems that make it a non-starter for avgas. The first one that comes to mind is how it interacts with moisture. Water freezing in the fuel system at altitude makes for a very unhappy pilot.

Not only no, but hell no! It has a lot of problems that make it a non-starter for avgas. The first one that comes to mind is how it interacts with moisture. Water freezing in the fuel system at altitude makes for a very unhappy pilot.
100% ethanol will draw moisture out of the air..... It will also burn your skin....

We had a test lab setup by a professor in his last year before retirement along with it being part of a senior design project. They made beer at 20 gallons per hour with the system. They kegged most of the beer rather than making fuel grade alcohol claiming it was too dangerous to make much fuel grade ethanol. It turned out to be an excuse to get a lot of keggs of beer put back for the graduating class and the retiring professor.

What could go wrong with letting people that lack basic reasoning skills, much less complex knowledge of math and science, make decisions about the future energy sources of our country?

What could go wrong with letting people that lack basic reasoning skills, much less complex knowledge of math and science, make decisions about the future energy sources of our country?
WWSPD?

(What would Sarah Palin do?)

That's what I thought, but I wanted a confirmation.

^They're still trying to figure out an unleaded gas formula that will work for aircraft engines. It's the usual collision between the EPA that wants to ban the use of lead, the FAA that is very reticent to approve anything that hasn't been in use since Orville and Wilbur were in business, and the people that actually understand the technical issues of aviation engines and fuel.

Screw ethanol. I had to drain my generator of its gas this past November. I had put fresh gas in it the May before. The stuff turned to crap. Now I am worried that I have not run my old '69 Plymouth in a year that I will have to drain that tank too.

I consistently work in fuel terminals around the west coast and the logistics of ethanol is a huge problem.

Mainly ethanol isn't available in pipeline supply or barges, so most of it is being shipped by rail. But the terminals have a limited capacity to unload rail-cars and it is inherently inefficient. Most only have space for 3-6 railcars, that is less than 100,000 gallons of fuel which isn't very much. Added to the problem is the inefficiency's and promptness of the Railroad industry, you can get a picture of the real mess this current system is.

Compounded by the fact that bio-diesel is also shipped in a similar manner you have a real bottle neck in the supply system. Oregon has a B2 and E10 requirement and most of the terminals can make this happen but any increase in the amounts and you are going to see real stress on the system.

I hope we don't have to do that especially as I don't think it really "helps the environment"........ it would be a bunch more work for me and my company, but my morals are just slightly better than a politician.

Back