End the Ethanol Insanity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consistently work in fuel terminals around the west coast and the logistics of ethanol is a huge problem.
Mainly ethanol isn't available in pipeline supply or barges, so most of it is being shipped by rail. But the terminals have a limited capacity to unload rail-cars and it is inherently inefficient. Most only have space for 3-6 railcars, that is less than 100,000 gallons of fuel which isn't very much. Added to the problem is the inefficiency's and promptness of the Railroad industry, you can get a picture of the real mess this current system is.

Compounded by the fact that bio-diesel is also shipped in a similar manner you have a real bottle neck in the supply system. Oregon has a B2 and E10 requirement and most of the terminals can make this happen but any increase in the amounts and you are going to see real stress on the system.

I hope we don't have to do that especially as I don't think it really "helps the environment"........ it would be a bunch more work for me and my company, but my morals are just slightly better than a politician.
That was a MAJOR problem in the business plan for a next gen ethanol plant in prime production area. It would cost $1 to produce, then another $1 or more to get it to a close market 200 miles away in Dallas. We were looking at piping the syngas, then producing at market for the next plan.... years away.

Back