Interviewing and job offers... more than one

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master slacker

Something awesome.
Reaction score
So I've bitched about my current employer for a while now and it's time that I get out of here.  I must at least get out of this particular location.  With that said, I've been filling out applications on different career websites (indeed, linkedin, etc...) as well as company-specific websites for both management level positions and senior engineer positions.  I'd like to move out of the engineer level, but that may not be likely if I leave my current employer, meaning I'll have to "earn my keep" for at least a couple of years before something may pop up.

I am phone interviewing for a number of engineer roles and they seem interested in what I am bringing to the table.  This is all good, but there's a number of problems.  First, only considering salary (not 401k, health, vacay, etc...), these positions are so far only offering 2% more than what I am currently making.  I'm not too keen in taking a lateral move into the "unknown career ladder" for 2%.  Second, I have also just applied to a manager position that is not 10 miles from my house with my current company (subsidiary, actually) as it just got posted .  Time frame for filling this position is unknown.  This would be my last swing at staying here.

Since interviews are going well, I will assume some of these employers would send me an offer.  I don't want to commit to any position until the manager spot is determined.  What are good ways to handle declining a job due to 1) TIME - me wanting to wait-out the manager spot? and 2) MONEY - me wanting more to jump into the unknown?  Is it even reasonable to say, "hey, I'm waiting to see what happens with an internal management role before I can give you an answer to your opportunity."?

Glad to see you hitting the pavement - I think I have spent the last 5 years of my life with one foot out the door at my current location (whether that be for a move back to the SE for more money or just trying to find something better here in CO)

I have probably used all the excuses for delaying the response to a job, I go back and forth between being very honest and saying " I am in consideration for another job and would like to wait and see what happens, to just flat out lying and saying I am going on PTO for 2 weeks to see my dad who is not doing well."

As much as it pains me to say it I think just being honest is the best way and  letting them know where you are at, most people can wait a few extra weeks...

Sucks the money isn't more, that defin makes it harder, but sometimes you need a change in scenery- but I personally don't like to make a move unless its 5-10% and no decrease in all the other "stuff"

Without declining you could also counter with a salary and benefits package that would make you change your mind. 

agreed that a 2% increase in salary is not worth it. but that's 2% before you negotiate. always ask for more. no company is going to offer you the ~ABSOLUTE MOST THEY CAN AFFORD~ 

keep us updated! wishing you the best.

Well, got shot down for one job.  That's alright as I wasn't planning on going there anyway.  The upper range of their pay is below what I already make.  Learning experience, though.

Went to Houston last week for another interview (on-site).  I think I interviewed poorly.  I don't know what happened, but I think it was bad and I don't expect an offer from them.  Moving on

Well, got shot down for one job.  That's alright as I wasn't planning on going there anyway.  The upper range of their pay is below what I already make.  Learning experience, though.

Went to Houston last week for another interview (on-site).  I think I interviewed poorly.  I don't know what happened, but I think it was bad and I don't expect an offer from them.  Moving on
sorry to hear the interview sucked but that just means it wasn't the right job!! you'll get there. 

Had another today.  Just back from it, actually.  Spaced "meetings" out in my Outlook calendar to make it look like I was really busy.  Left my office open and everything.  Come back to "check in".  No one's the wiser.

This onsite interview went really well. Smaller chemical company with limited upward mobility potential, but we'll see what comes of it.

Had another today.  Just back from it, actually.  Spaced "meetings" out in my Outlook calendar to make it look like I was really busy.  Left my office open and everything.  Come back to "check in".  No one's the wiser.

This onsite interview went really well. Smaller chemical company with limited upward mobility potential, but we'll see what comes of it.
latest

So I had my interviews for the manager role with my current company (subsidiary, actually) last week.  Much smaller facility than where I am currently, but they're sold out all the time and that's a good thing.  I think the interviews went well and the role is to be filled before the end of the year... I just don't know when the candidate will be selected... Will it be before or after I must respond to the next bit of news?... 😖

Next... surprise surprise.  The Houston job that I thought I bombed ends with an offer.  The base pay is a smidge less than what I currently make (those of us who haven't left got a nice bump in pay a few weeks back).  They have a bonus program, too (I don't currently have one).  I just put the numbers in a spreadsheet, as all good engineers do, and... damn, the cost of benefits makes a huge difference...  Oh, here's the kicker - I interviewed for a Mechanical Reliability Engineer role, but my offer letter states Reliability/Maintenance Engineering Lead – Supervisor role: 5 direct reports, 2-3 indirect.  They bumped me up.  :blink2:   

Also, being the end of the leading into a fresh new one with fresh new budgets, just last night, I got two requests for phone interviews.  Both of those will happen next week.  One is big oil and the other is another chemical plant.

I am so torn and stressed about this right now, ugh.  I know I know, good problems to have, but still.  This is one of those "should I go with 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' or wait to see what else comes my way?" decisions.  Well, the decision clock is now ticking down and there's a lot left that is unknown.

It’s fairly cheap to live in Houston - which is a good and bad thing...

But yeah the job decision stress sucks - why are you leaning towards doing?

The problem is that, if I was offered the engineer job, I'd say "no".  But the supervisor role being tossed to me f'd me all up.

Houston is just a little bigger than I'm accustomed to at the moment.  I last lived there (Kemah) 15 years ago.  If we took the plunge, I'm looking at the Deer Park area on the eastern side of Houston.  I'm a stick in the mud and the wife knows it.  If it were up to me, I'd stay gung ho for the manager job 10 minutes away.  She'd like to move Alaska and live in a tree house.  We have lots to discuss this weekend.  The biggest problem for both me and the missus is the total lack of yard in the Houston area.  With six chickens, a dog, and two Tasmanian devil kids, a larger yard would be welcome. 

Good luck with whichever route you go, MS.  I really enjoyed my time in Houston - granted, I was able to avoid I-10 99% of the time and lived on the west side close to Katy.  If I had to live in a big city again, I'd choose Houston over all the others I've been to.

Good luck MS! Like you said, while it is a good position to be in, it's still stressful as hell trying to figure out what's best not only for you professionally, but also for your family. Good luck!

MS, good luck man. We have good friends who live in Katy and we visit them from time to time. It's a very nice area and I enjoy going there.

I don't know much about Deep Park but I do know that most people in Suburbia don't actually want to go into Houston. If you are stuck on the east side at the very least you'll have an easier trip to Galveston for the typical "Houston weekend."

I can understand about the yard. The amount of land that you get with your house isn't very good for lots of animals. One thing though, does Deer Park (or in that area) even allow chickens?

Talk it over with the family and good luck man!!

Long story very short, not looking to accept the Houston offer.  Got three more contacts late last week wanting phone interviews.  After lengthy discussions with the missus, I need to look more at base salary for any given role.  Despite having an annual bonus program, I've been burned with 0% before and that sucks.  I'm not in fear of losing my job and I'm getting paid well, so no reason to rush.  

Delayed to this conversation but I think you did the right thing not rushing. Im partial to cooler weather and the north. Come to New England and we can hang!!! Also wishing you a lot of luck during this confusing time. I almost had a stroke a month ago before committing to my new job.

I’m sure everyone else is thinking this but just want to confirm it - you’re approaching this the right way and I know you’re going to end up with something you’re really, really proud of.

I've kept quiet over the past few weeks not wanting to jinx anything as things got hot in the past week.  In another post I mentioned taking this past Thursday off for an all day interview and then being off Friday because AFO.  Well, the interview was with "Big Oil" and they fed me good food the night before the interview as they always do.  Anyway, long story short, of the four people I talked with, I crushed the interview and they were excited about endorsing me.  The other two interviews were good.  Well, the last time I interviewed with "Big O" during grad school, I got the job offer at the end of the day and was hoping for the same treatment this time around.  No dice.  Damn.  Decisions and offers won't be made until mid January... so in about a week or so.  Double damn. 😖  Oh well, because I was really hoping to use it as a counter offer for...

... my newly accepted position as Maintenance Manager for our subsidiary company!   :bananalama:   :party-smiley-048: :w00t:

The manager offer came in on Friday and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  I couldn't string them along for another week and this is the position mentioned in my first post.  I just now verbally accepted and the paperwork is coming soon.  And since it's within the same company, the move should be seamless and I should be able to start next Monday (1/14/19). 🤞 I plan on dropping this turd of information on my boss's lap tomorrow morning.  

💩

Latest posts

Back