Insurance for those who stamp designs?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAPE/SMOTT PE

Wait, what?
Reaction score
So, do any if you guys/gals stamp designs/docs? If so, any advice on insurance you could give me?

So, do any if you guys/gals stamp designs/docs? If so, any advice on insurance you could give me?
Are you stamping under your current employer? If so, then you likely don't need any personal coverage. At least that's way I understand it is in WI. I've worked for (2) different companies where I've stamped drawings and never had to be concerned with any sort of personal liability coverage as I was doing under the umbrella coverage of my employer. I also do consulting work on the side that requires the occasional seal. For that, I ensure in my contract terms that my liability is covered by said company I'm stamping for as part of their design package.

Last edited by a moderator:
There aren't a lot of companies out there that offer E&O insurance for engineers, but NSPE does an annual survey.  I can look to see if I can dig up the latest review that was published in PE Magazine.

Thanks! It's definitely something I'm going to ask about with our (1800-call-a-HR) Human Resources department. I haven't had to stamp anything here, until now.

(I think) you work for one of the (similar) big box firms like I work for so there should be some internal stuff you go through before you stamp something?  

We let very few people in our group stamp stuff, they try and keep it to the PM's when they can.  But I would just defin double check your internal QA/QC "stuff" if this is the first time with this company.

And on personal insurance, if your doing work for the company you shouldn't need it. All that happens if you have separate E&O Insurance when their is a claim / lawsuit is that its just another insurance group to "share" in the pain. (That will be one of the first questions on the deposition)

Thanks! Yes, a yuuuge box firm. Thing is, not even our "local" main office has done this type design spec writing in a few years. And lots and lots of code changes have taken place. So, I'm asking all kinds of questions in regard to doing this. I want to do this, it's interesting and great for my career (it's not something done as often...makes one stand out). I will have help with very experienced engineers in our "main" office, but I'm the only TX PE who can stamp. I have told everyone I must be completely comfortable with everything in this design, or I'm not stamping.

So, I'm still figuring out just how to go about doing this. I'll start writing the design spec this week.

Good luck! I keep an electronic record of everything I've ever officially stamped and signed. I recommend others doing this as well. :thumbs:

Last summer I had some extra time so I got my license in some other western states, Nevada, Utah, Montana (Mainly just hoping for some work related trips) but all I get is now a shit load of calls to stamp anything under the sun- even though were a big box firm we don't have a huge presence in those states.  Had some really weird requests I had to decline but for the ones in my scope as long as they send me a charge # and make the changes I request its all good (still no free trip yet though)

I'm in queue with the automated HR system. Not sure how long this will take. 

It would be a lot easier if I was in a large office, and not part of an "alliance" sitting on client property.

Edit/update: Well, that went no where. So I spoke to our C/S PE about what he has been doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've stamped a couple of things here assuming I was protected under my company's insurance policy, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure.  My company is not a design firm, it's a mechanical contractor, so I don't know if I would be covered.  I assume my company would deal with any issues that come up, but I guess I should make sure. 

Back