Initial PE licensure

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engin3rd

Reaction score
I passed the NCEES FE and PE Exams in a state that decoupled the experience requirement to sit for a PE exam. Does my initial licensure have to be in the same state in which I sat for the PE exam?

I'm not positive, but I believe so.  Then you can reciprocate it by comity to other states, by applying through their State Board

Similarly to civilengrdude I'm not positive, but I believe not.  I would email your state board about it.

I emailed the California board about the same issue for the SE licensure...if you don't know, California makes you work as a registered PE for 3 years doing structural work before they will let you sit for the SE exam.  Other states don't make you wait those 3 years.

I asked the California board if I were to take the SE exam earlier than those 3 years in a different state, if it would effect my getting license in California at all.  They said it wouldn't and that if I passed the exam earlier in another state I would be fine getting licensed there after the required experience.

Its obviously not identical to your situation, but a quick email would clear it up for you.

No, you do not need to complete your licensure in the state you take the exam in. I took my exam in one state (it was the state which held my FE records and I could take it sooner) and upon completing my experience requirements I submitted all records to the state I was working in. It's a rather easy process and the NCEES site now makes it even easier. I did finally go back and request my license at the state that holds the records just to simplify the process... or so I thought. Turns out that its the same process either way. 

You need to be careful though. Some states require that you pass the test AFTER you complete the required experience. So some states will still make you retake the test after the required 3-4 years before they will issue the license. 

You need to be careful though. Some states require that you pass the test AFTER you complete the required experience. So some states will still make you retake the test after the required 3-4 years before they will issue the license. 
Do you have a source you can site for this?   I am curious about the answer myself.    I passed the Civil Transportation PE in South Carolina and still need 3 years experience

Do you have a source you can site for this?   I am curious about the answer myself.    I passed the Civil Transportation PE in South Carolina and still need 3 years experience
It varies by jurisdiction and their respective statute. I'm only deeply familiar with maybe 7 of the 55 jurisdictions and South Carolina isn't one of them. As an example Pennsylvania requires* the exam after the experience requirement, see page 16: Sec 4.2 (c)(1). On the other hand, Texas doesn't care when you take the PPE.

*I doubt it, but It's possible the board had reinterpreted this statute since I last checked a few years ago.

South Carolina doesn't care.  I took the exam here 2 years ago and just got the experience this past August and got licensed.

Its a much more overblown issue than people make it out to be.  I did a good amount of research on it when I was taking the exam early, and the only state I could find that definitely makes you retake the exam was Ohio.  Literally every other source was just people saying 'be careful a ton of states make you retake the exam!'

You only need to worry about it if you want comity, and none of the states around SC care either.

Back