How to properly carve a pumpkin

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hamburger-pumpkin-carving1.jpg

Here's the ones I carved over the weekend. There are a couple duplicates from last year, but I don't care. The spider and the Autobot symbol were just "etched" in as opposed to fully carved. I'm hoping this will help prevent them from wilting so quickly. I had done a Batman symbol for my son on Saturday, but by Sunday evening was all droopy. I will probably redo that one this next weekend.

169964_525101810836517_899234152_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
None of my "carved" pumpkins lasted the week. I have to redo my son's "Batman", my daughter's Golf Ball, and the Pi jackolanterns this weekend. I may just "etch" the backs of the ones already carved...

With all of the collective brain cells on this board, there's got to be something we could come up with that helps preserve the carvings. Elmers, plaster, quickcrete bath, ...soaking it in Lye..??? We're having a carving party on Sunday. I'll post some trials.

From my personal experience, warm afternoons and direct sun do NOT aid in their preservation...

Here's the results from the anual pumpkin carving party, mine is the upper one with all the teeth.

36334_10101614340400703_1561714014_n.jpg

A few things I learned to help preserve pumpkins:

1. Don't cut the stem. Like tomatoes, the stem should be left on for as long as possible, as it provides nutrients long after it's picked and aides in preservation.

Instead, cut small access door in the bottom to remove pumpkin guts or hog out the back. (It might be why the lid always lasts the longest)

2. Spray bleach water daily on all cuts and the inside to keep excess bacteria from decomposing your pumpkin.

Back