How to pass PE (power)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For all who will be taking the Power PE soon, just remember that when you are going through all these posts on how to study, yeah it might work for the person who is doing the studying, but it might not be in your "study style". Trust me not everyone sees apples to apples, myself "apple pear 3 sigma".

I did a search for what I should bring with me (I will actually be taking the exam April 2013) and then went through that list to see what resources best fit me. I created a binder with a ton of information (okay I realize some states do not allow three ring binders as being "bound" documents) and as of right now I am in the process of putting tabs in the areas I need to study more and then main tabs for easy access to the information. I have alot of sample problems from text that I photocopied and put in the binder. I make sure I understand the formulas and how they came about the answer before I move on!

Most of my binder was stuff that was on the web, it probably would have been good had I saved a link to all this useful information so that I could share, but everything you need is out there on the web.

I would suggest at least one book on power systems, the NCEES practice exam (of course), and whatever information you find relevant to your study style.

A tip - look online for colleges/universities that have class notes, quizzes, tests. I found a wealth of information for my binder just doing that search Check out MIT's open classware

Remember think smarter, not harder!

Oh I forgot one book to bring: NEC depending on which one you have, I have the 2008, but I realize some have the 2011. I think I need to find me a copy of the 2011.....

Do you think I am set on materials? I am planning to take the exam in Oct,13. ANy suggestions where/which chapters I should cover for Grainger? I am out of school for a while and forgotten a lot ..I passed my FE back in Oct 12...

(Courtesy of Wildsoldier)

EPRM PPI book by Camara - chapters 28, 33-42, 48-56

Wildi book – chapters 1,2,7-13,15,17-18,20-21,24-27 and 30

Grainger book – Fundamental and ????

Nilson book – 9-11 and 18

NEC handbook

Some print out for Economy, Fault calculation etc

Also, PPI, NEC and Spinup practice exams

For all who will be taking the Power PE soon, just remember that when you are going through all these posts on how to study, yeah it might work for the person who is doing the studying, but it might not be in your "study style". Trust me not everyone sees apples to apples, myself "apple pear 3 sigma".

I did a search for what I should bring with me (I will actually be taking the exam April 2013) and then went through that list to see what resources best fit me. I created a binder with a ton of information (okay I realize some states do not allow three ring binders as being "bound" documents) and as of right now I am in the process of putting tabs in the areas I need to study more and then main tabs for easy access to the information. I have alot of sample problems from text that I photocopied and put in the binder. I make sure I understand the formulas and how they came about the answer before I move on!

Most of my binder was stuff that was on the web, it probably would have been good had I saved a link to all this useful information so that I could share, but everything you need is out there on the web.

I would suggest at least one book on power systems, the NCEES practice exam (of course), and whatever information you find relevant to your study style.

A tip - look online for colleges/universities that have class notes, quizzes, tests. I found a wealth of information for my binder just doing that search Check out MIT's open classware

Remember think smarter, not harder!

Oh I forgot one book to bring: NEC depending on which one you have, I have the 2008, but I realize some have the 2011. I think I need to find me a copy of the 2011.....
Your test will be using the 2011 NEC so I would suggest getting one.

Back