Homemade Wine

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryannette

Wise One
Reaction score
I want to get into making wine. I recently had homemade blueberry wine and I really liked it.

It's a lot like making beer. You can usually get winemaking grape juices from homebrew stores, then you pitch in some yeast and wait. Bam...you've got wine.

Along the same lines, I've always wanted to make a still too. I don't really drink that often, but I really like the idea of drinking something I make instead of something I buy...

We made wine in college using Welch's. It was fermented in the closet, and we referred to it as "the kids". By the time we were done, it only took about 2 glasses of The Kids to rock you out of your socks.

Some of my buddies in college made absinthe. Rumor has it that it was too sour to drink...even with a sugar cube.

My Dad made wine for a few years. It was an awful lot of work for what he got out of it. the last time he did it, Mom sampled a bit of it, and messed up the water in the airlock. The wine turned to vinegar. That was the end of the wine making.

It was really tart.

The patriach of some family friends is "from the old country" (Italy) and he fits the stereotype of having the garden with the grapevine trellis overhead and makes his own red wine. They gave me a bottle one year because I was always curious to try it. Man, I thought it was pretty nasty. I gave some to my FIL (also Italian, his parents came from the old country) and based on his experience, it was pretty good for home-made wine. I'd hate to taste a "bad" one.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine from Eastern Europe (Serbia) used to make his own. He also did a few batches of plum brandy. They were actually pretty good. Two glasses of the wine were enough to get you pretty well 'faced. A friend of mine referred to the brandy as "Rocket Fuel". I never tried to light the stuff but it definitely had a kick to it.

I forgot to mention, if you plan on crushing your own grapes or other fruits, you will need a press. Even the cheap presses are expensive as hell ($300+). You also have to know what your doing in regards to varieties of grapes/fruit to use, how much sugar to add depending on the variety you use, etc. Just like homebrewing beer, I suggest starting out with a kit or concentrate made especially for wine making.

One of my co-workers at a previous job made his own wine. His mother-in-law is from Italy, and she owns one of the local wine-making/homebrew beer stores in the area. He gave away bottles of his homemade Green Apple Riesling one year for Christmas. I thought it was excellent, but I'm a fan of light, sweet wines.

I've made wine at home, but it was only after I had gotten comfortable brewing and had most of the equipment.

It's not an expensive setup, but like many hobbies, there is a start up cost.

The two main things you need are a fermenting bucket and a glass carboy (a giant bottle). The ancillary equipment you need is extensive, like brushes and cleaning solutions, piping & tubing for siphoning, etc, etc, but you can get by with a little or a lot, depending on how you do it.

I bought the prepacked region-specific grape juice at the brew store about a mile from my house and I was able to borrow their filter and corker, which made things much smoother & better. The actual winemaking wasn't much harder than baking a cake - mix this, add that, let it ferment, siphon, ferment some more, add this, bottle, and then wait three months to drink. I made a few batches and they came out pretty good, if a little sweet, but they were fully consumed before having much time to age. With home wines, you don't age much more than a year, but I found a bottle at my sister's house that I gave to her the year before and it was not bad at all when we tapped it after 12+ months.

I recommend both brewing and vintning as a hobby, but it really helps to have a local brewshop to guide you and rent/borrow the extra stuff you need. With a cost of about $2-$3 a bottle though, it's just as good to buy the 3-buck-Chuck at Trader Joes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most important thing with brewing both wine and beer at home is cleanliness. When you are using yeast to ferment sugars from grapes or grains, bad shit can happen. If you get rogue yeast or bacteria from the air or contaminated buckets/spoons/etc., your entire batch of homebrew will be ruined. You have to sanitize everything that will touch the wine/beer before and during fermentation either by boiling it for 5 minutes or by using a sanitizing solution.

I've made wine. It was drinkable, but I probably wouldn't go to the trouble again because results can be unpredictable.

Three words:

Two Buck Chuck

I just wish I lived near a Trader Joe's :(

Back