High water

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that's what we were talking about here in the office is that this must be because of all the snow melt from Vermont. So, are you telling me it's going to get higher still? It's been rising all day. And tell your buddy that he's messing up my running route!
I don't know if it'll get higher still where you are. I think the goal is to prevent that water plus the 6 ft of additional stage they're expecting to come down all at once. So it may just remain that high for several days. It's a pretty amazing & effective system, and that's what those floodways are for. It's better than what Hartford looked like in 1936 after heavy snowmelt and rain:

800px-1936Flood_HartfordCT01.jpg

Yeah, that's what we were talking about here in the office is that this must be because of all the snow melt from Vermont. So, are you telling me it's going to get higher still? It's been rising all day. And tell your buddy that he's messing up my running route!
Sapp, you can easily check the the historical data as well as current data on the USGS website for said river.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ct/nwis/uv?site_no=01190070

Connecticut snow melt effects MS in LA?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, CT snow melt doesn't effect LA. VT snow melt effects CT. CT snow melted weeks ago.
I'm with you. I thought MS was from LA and his post led me to believe that snow melt from New England somehow impacted him.

I'm not a stormwater engineer (because it's too tough) and I'm busy eating french fries. Just keep yo damn melting snow up yunder in them northern river parts. Thanky kindly.

I'm not a stormwater engineer (because it's too tough) and I'm busy eating french fries. Just keep yo damn melting snow up yunder in them northern river parts. Thanky kindly.

yes because when you build things at an elevation lower than sea level, it is a surprise when it floods...
OH SNAP!!! :eek:hmy:

yes because when you build things at an elevation lower than sea level, it is a surprise when it floods...

I blame the civil engineers.

Those damn, dirty civil engineers...

See, now a smart man would have blamed the surveyors (sorry EM)

see now I would have blamed those damn mechanical engineers who couldn't design a pump powerful enough to stay ahead of the rising flood waters. Slackers

are there any downstream flood controls (levees, etc)? Anything that can regulate the backwater effects? See Tmack was right. This stormwater modeling is so difficult!

Back