High water

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a certain consultant in Central Fla who could help mitigate this problem.

Can RFQ's be sent from his website. I dare you..... :eyebrows:

You could even include the pic.

I bet you wouldn't even get wet if you were driving the Jeep...

;)

This was yesterday.. today it's even higher. There's usually a road at the bottom of the fill slope.

005_zpse7971bb7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. This is the CT River near Hartford. Basically, the slope on the left is a massive berm, probably 30 feet tall and on the other side of the berm at the same elevation as this picture is another road and a bunch of office buildings. So the berm was built as a flood control measure some number of years ago. It's pretty clear that the flood plain is actually quite wide, and they decided to build the berm in order to build office space.

The guy who regulates the CT river sits about 2 doors down from me. They're expecting a huge amount of flow in the next few days with rainfall and snowmelt so they've been releasing all the water from the dams up north to make room for the water that's coming.

Yeah, that's what we were talking about here in the office is that this must be because of all the snow melt from Vermont. So, are you telling me it's going to get higher still? It's been rising all day. And tell your buddy that he's messing up my running route!

The guy who regulates the CT river sits about 2 doors down from me. They're expecting a huge amount of flow in the next few days with rainfall and snowmelt so they've been releasing all the water from the dams up north to make room for the water that's coming.
A March 2010 storm here in RI caused a river to rise 20' above flood zone and flow over a 9' berm and completely flood a major WWTF. One of the contributing factors were upstream dams releasing water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a view from my office window. So, I'm on the 16th floor, which means you lose some of the scale of this, and I zoomed in to show some detail, but the berm is the grassy strip, it's probably 30' high. On the other side of the berm, the water has already risen well over 6' or so, because where the water is now, is usually a road, some picnic tables, and then there's a fairly good sized bank, and docks and all kinds of stuff. All of that is completely submerged now.

014_zps5e03ffad.jpg

Back