Help: Env PE (stormwater) Qualifying Experience Criteria in general

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolbae96

Reaction score
It would be very appreciated if you could provide any information that I need to prepare to get Env. PE (stormwater) in general.

Here is my background:

1. Got BS in Environmental Engineering (out of US) in 2003.

2. Got MS in Environmental Engineering (in US) in 2005.

3. Got PhD in Environmental Science (Stormwater focus in US) in 2010.

4. Currently working as Enviromental Engineer at a small environmental remediation company in stormwater management program for 2.5 years (2010-current).

I am the only environmental engineer in the current company and I don't have any clue to qualify for PE (I wish the company had other PEs to ask!!).

If you could give me any advice, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Well ... from what you stated I do not know how you could sit for the PE exam; but ultimately it depends on which state you work in.

Here are the four steps per NCEES:

While each state licensing board has its own laws regarding engineering licensure, there is a general four-step process for licensure candidates:

1. Earn a degree from an ABET-accredited engineering program.
  2. Pass the FE exam.
  3. Gain acceptable work experience (typically a minimum of four years). In most cases, this must be completed under the supervision of a P.E.
  4. Pass the PE exam in the appropriate discipline.
In all three states I am licensed the experience has to happen "under the direct supervision of a licensed professional engineer."

So you really should check your state's law.

What state are you in? NY does not require that your experience be under a PE, so you could consider taking it here. You would have to find out how many years of work experience they require - with a Masters it's normally 3, but since your Bachelors wasn't ABET-accredited it is likely more. Talking to the state board where you want to take the exam is the first step.

What state are you in? NY does not require that your experience be under a PE, so you could consider taking it here. You would have to find out how many years of work experience they require - with a Masters it's normally 3, but since your Bachelors wasn't ABET-accredited it is likely more. Talking to the state board where you want to take the exam is the first step.

I had no idea this was the case - I just re-read the NYS requirements and there is no mention of requiring your endorser to be a PE. This is quite strange, no?

Back