Heat the person, not the house

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!

I keep my house thermostat around 62 degrees. I keep an electric space heater in the bathroom I use when I shower. The only problem I struggle with is my feet get cold. I think I need to look into some battery powered heated socks or something.

Now that my cat isn't around, I might try turning the thermostat down some more. I did have trouble with one set of pipes freezing, but I put some heat tape on those.

I just purchased a Honeywell wifi thermostat.

It is fully programmable and the app is free. I can control my house temp from anywhere. It cost about $115.00. Pretty sweet.

i can't see the list at work. we have a programmable thermostat in the house to reduce use when we aren't home during the week and over night. works just fine. We had to buy it though when we moved in. the previous owners had the old fashion round dial and complained about how high their power bills were (FSBO so we got to talk to them directly).

It is fully programmable and the app is free. I can control my house temp from anywhere. It cost about $115.00. Pretty sweet.
Thank you for your support. As a side note, you might want to be aware of this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/2013/10/15/honeywell-is-giving-utility-companies-access-to-your-thermostat-but-only-if-you-want/
That is an interesting article. I did not know that they were doing that to control peak demand with my wifi thermostat.

20 or 30 years ago our local co-op power provider

Put control boxes on our outside A/C compressors and water heaters. During peak demand they would send a wireless signal and cut off a few thousand units off for 10 to 15 miniutes. You would never know that you were shut off in that brief period.

Thank you for your support. As a side note, you might want to be aware of this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/2013/10/15/honeywell-is-giving-utility-companies-access-to-your-thermostat-but-only-if-you-want/
That is an interesting article. I did not know that they were doing that to control peak demand with my wifi thermostat.

20 or 30 years ago our local co-op power provider

Put control boxes on our outside A/C compressors and water heaters. During peak demand they would send a wireless signal and cut off a few thousand units off for 10 to 15 miniutes. You would never know that you were shut off in that brief period.
You would definitely know in the summer if the AC was off for 15 minutes. Least you would at my house.

Awesome!

I keep my house thermostat around 62 degrees. I keep an electric space heater in the bathroom I use when I shower. The only problem I struggle with is my feet get cold. I think I need to look into some battery powered heated socks or something.

Now that my cat isn't around, I might try turning the thermostat down some more. I did have trouble with one set of pipes freezing, but I put some heat tape on those.

I have battery-powered socks. They take a C-battery, but they are oh so cozy for ice fishing.

Back