heartbleed bug

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you missed the facts here sweet cheeks. It IS a remedy.

Infrastructures need to start migrating from the Nginx system that uses OpenSSL. There are 2 (among others) systems that use different binaries where they would be immune to this exploit (i.e. CentOS or Ubuntu). Further protection measures would include firewalls and encryption.

The REALLY smart computer geeks, do not give explanations like this to the general public. LOL They just implement their solution and don't talk about it when everyone learns the problem has been fixed. :thumbs:

No it's not a remedy. Switching to a different system is not a remedy, it's just choosing a different product. What a REMEDY would be is for the Nginx system to alter their "binaries" or whatever.

I used to get in trouble for booting into ubuntu. Aparently the server had fits with it and it bypasses the admin account IT setup.

Oh well, it's permitted me to fix a few errors in the past when I couldn't get IT to lift a finger on a couple machines.

Haven't tried it recently though, so who knows how the new IT department is going to react.

I might be able to get away with it because I run some really ancient FORTRAN code that's actually much more stable under LINUX...

LOL....good old FORTRAN.

I believe you missed the facts here sweet cheeks. It IS a remedy.

Infrastructures need to start migrating from the Nginx system that uses OpenSSL. There are 2 (among others) systems that use different binaries where they would be immune to this exploit (i.e. CentOS or Ubuntu). Further protection measures would include firewalls and encryption.

The REALLY smart computer geeks, do not give explanations like this to the general public. LOL They just implement their solution and don't talk about it when everyone learns the problem has been fixed. :thumbs:
No it's not a remedy. Switching to a different system is not a remedy, it's just choosing a different product. What a REMEDY would be is for the Nginx system to alter their "binaries" or whatever.
Remedy: something that corrects or removes an evil of any kind.

So by switching to a much more robust system, the exploit is no longer practical and hence the evil is removed. We're not talking about a product here, we're talking about platform interface. Nginx is unstable and insecure. Has been for quite awhile and I'm surprised it hasn't been exploited sooner. All the better that sites start migrating away from it. ;)

lwg_heartbleed.jpg

Back