Handbook's Fault Diagrams -> Equations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd5191

Reaction score
Is there an intuitive way to derive equations from the Handbook's Fault Diagrams (Pg 66) without memorizing them. Particularly for the Line-to-Line Fault and Double Line-to-Ground Fault?

e.g for L-L faults, that Ia2 = (Ea)/(jX1+jX2)

The best way for me to remember the sequence network diagrams are:

Single line to ground: all 3 sequence networks in series

Ia1 = Ia2 = Ia0 = Vg / (Z1 + Z2 + Zp)

Ia = Ia1 + Ia2 + Ia0 = 3Ia1

Line to line fault: positive and negative sequence networks in series. Zero sequence is not included (because ground or neutral is not involved).

Ia1 = Vg / (Z1 + Z2)

Ia1 and Ia2 are in opposite directions, so:

Ia1 = -Ia2, Ia2 = -Ia1, Ia0 = 0

Ia = Ia1 + Ia2 + Ia0 = Ia1 + -Ia1 + 0 = 0

Double line to ground fault: all sequence networks are in parallel.

Ia1 = Vg / (Z1 + (Z2 || Z0)

Here's a line-to-line conceptual diagram (Phase B to Phase C example) I drew up to try to help you.

I learned this from Zach Stone's Electrical PE Review.

If the line-to-line fault is Phase A to Phase B, use Ic1 and Ic2 in the sequence network circuit diagram.

If the line-to-line fault is Phase C to Phase A, use Ib1 and Ib2 in the sequence network circuit diagram.

I'll try to draw one up for double-line-to-ground fault later after my dinner.

Line to Line Fault - Phase B to Phase C.jpg

Is there an intuitive way to derive equations from the Handbook's Fault Diagrams (Pg 66) without memorizing them. Particularly for the Line-to-Line Fault and Double Line-to-Ground Fault?

e.g for L-L faults, that Ia2 = (Ea)/(jX1+jX2)
Just about everything can be derived from KCL, KVL, and Ohm's law. Is there anything in particular you are having trouble deriving? 

Here's a line-to-line conceptual diagram (Phase B to Phase C example) I drew up to try to help you.

I learned this from Zach Stone's Electrical PE Review.

If the line-to-line fault is Phase A to Phase B, use Ic1 and Ic2 in the sequence network circuit diagram.

If the line-to-line fault is Phase C to Phase A, use Ib1 and Ib2 in the sequence network circuit diagram.

I'll try to draw one up for double-line-to-ground fault later after my dinner.

View attachment 19741
Nicely done @akyip!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @akyip and @Zach Stone, P.E. for the advice. I spent some time watching videos of double-line to ground fault and line-line faults to get me more comfortable with the formula derivations. I'll just continue practicing this topic more before the exam and hopefully that'll help.

Back