Government or Privae Industry?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ Thanks for the thought hun!! :)

In actuality, my impending divorce turns out to be a positive move - I can move on to a better life. :)

JR

its a pretty easy choice money-wise in NY, as the private sector pays at least 25%-30% more than the government.
i
I am in a "government job" - and started low salary wise . I worked many years in the private sector before starting with the MTA (New York) in 1999. If you can manage to jump around within the organization, you can do OK. I am not rich, and I don't see "rich" in my future, but the benefits you can't put dollars on are as follows

1. I eat dinner with my wife and children EVERY evening, and my weekends are MINE

2. I have 5 weeks vacation that I am ENCOURAGED to take every year.

3. I have awesome health, dental, vision benefits.

4. Great pension in addition to 401k.

5. Nearly recession proof

The above is way, way more valuable than 25 -30% more salary.

1. I eat dinner with my wife and children EVERY evening, and my weekends are MINE2. I have 5 weeks vacation that I am ENCOURAGED to take every year.

3. I have awesome health, dental, vision benefits.

4. Great pension in addition to 401k.

5. Nearly recession proof

The above is way, way more valuable than 25 -30% more salary.
I completely agree, and could not be happier. It is a different mindset working for the public well being, instead of making someone else rich!

I was in consuling for 10 years, wanted a change, took a job overseeing construction for an aggressive large local government that puts out a lot of work for a county government.

Part of my decision was that it has accelerated my carreer in terms of contacts, and experience, and the thought is that even taking 10% less money wise, I would be much further ahead if I go back into consulting in say 5-7 years, from where if I stayed in consulting for the same period of time.

I wouldnt want to be in any lower position than what I am in now, its a daily fire drill, which I kind of like. My wife actually thought I would have more time off leaving the consulting world, but its been the other way around, I have actually been busier the past year than I have in any of my previous consulting gigs, plus folks call you at 2 AM when "stuff happens" Yuo can tell my posting has gone WAY down the last year or so ;)

I took a hit on vacation, I had 4 weeks, went down to 2, guess the government doesnt negotiate, only 1 more holiday than I did in private life, their isnt any 401K match, no bonus, etc. But all in all I am pretty happy. Its a lot more "problem solving" than I did grunting out plans and actually a lot more closer to what i thought civil engineering would be when I was in college.

If you are at about 5-10 years experience and can find the right local goverment (ours pay well) its really been a suprising challenge. There are not many that I would have considered working for though to be honest.

Back