Good Engineering Dictionary?????

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slates

Reaction score
I have read from several people recomending or wishing that they had a good engineering dictionary to take to the exam with them. I have read several reviews on Amazon saying the McGraw Hill Dictionary was useless for the Civil PE. Does anyone know of a "good" dictionary to take into the exam, or used one that was helpful?

I have read from several people recomending or wishing that they had a good engineering dictionary to take to the exam with them. I have read several reviews on Amazon saying the McGraw Hill Dictionary was useless for the Civil PE. Does anyone know of a "good" dictionary to take into the exam, or used one that was helpful?

I found this dictionary to be beneficial, its quite comprehensive but a little pricey($150-$200). Additionally, not that you need it, but it does give english to french conversion. I ordered it from Walmart.com to determine if it was worth it (they have a great return policy) I felt it was so I kept it. Here's some additional info for the book.

Hardcover: Dictionary of Civil Engineering

Author: Kurtz, Jean-Paul

Publisher: Kluwer Academic Pub

Publish date: Sep 2004

ISBN-13: 9780306483172

ISBN-10: 0306483173

Format: Hardcover , 1515 pages

This English version of the French publication, (Dictionnaire du G??nie Civil, published by the Conseil International de la Langue Fran??aise in 1997) will be a valuable reference tool for civil engineers. There are over 12,000 definitions accompanied by more than 1,300 charts, tables, and graphs. This dictionary is a comprehensive compilation of definitions, examples and descriptions - from the study of soils, and the various materials and equipment used, including the most common architectural terms as they relate to civil engineering. The clear and concise presentation of this dictionary will easily clarify often confusing concepts and correct other lexicological errors. This compendium will be an invaluable tool not only for civil engineers, but also for lawyers, contractors, engineering and design departments, architects, etc. and all trade associations involved with this discipline. This dictionary may also be used as a valuable teaching tool.

I know this is wasn't what the OP was looking for, but I'm actually making my own. Anytime I come across a totally unfamiliar term or one in need of a precise definition, I look it up and sort of paraphrase a description in terms that I can understand. I make sure to emphasize any confusing or surprising aspects. Before I sit for the exam, I'll take my handwritten glossary and type it up and bind it. Hopefully going through them again will help keep all of the concepts fresh in my mind.

Two dictionaries that I used in past exams:

1. Wiley Dictionary of Civil Engineering and Construction

2. Evironmental Engineering Dictionary (by Lee)

Both gave me definitions that were directly used to solve exam questions...

If you have access to a university library, look there first. That's where I found these.

ktulu

I purchased "A Dictionary of Environmental & Civil Engineering" by Len Webster prior to taking my last PE exam and found it to be very useful (I took the Water Resources afternoon module).

One of the other engineers in my office borrowed it for the April Exam and he said it helped him with at least 4 or 5 questions.

I think I paid around $75 - $80 for it.

I had a cheap paper back engineering dict. that was okay, only about $30. On the last exam I printed out about 125 page document (definitions) from the EPA website. I found several answers from it on the civil exam. I will try and attach it, if you cant get it and are interested let me know and I will repost.

I had a cheap paper back engineering dict. that was okay, only about $30. On the last exam I printed out about 125 page document (definitions) from the EPA website. I found several answers from it on the civil exam. I will try and attach it, if you cant get it and are interested let me know and I will repost.
Thanks for sharing. :multiplespotting:

Who says Engineers are not good people?

There ain't no chart nor table nor graph! just sketches or simplified drawings to illustrate things

I purchased "A Dictionary of Environmental & Civil Engineering" by Len Webster prior to taking my last PE exam and found it to be very useful (I took the Water Resources afternoon module).
One of the other engineers in my office borrowed it for the April Exam and he said it helped him with at least 4 or 5 questions.

I think I paid around $75 - $80 for it.
Funny... I don't think I got a single answer from it on same exam! Maybe I found what I needed in the CERM or Testmasters first.

Back