Getting Laid Off

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melanie11

Reaction score
So I got news this week that I will be laid off from my government job. It will be effective either the end of this month or mid August. I am so upset at the timing. I will be 8 months pregnant when they let me go. I had a short term disability policy I was paying for through work and was planning on using it once I went on FMLA and now I won't get it.

I put in a request to delay the layoff until the end of the fiscal year (Sept 30) because thats how they did it in previous years. I figure I have nothing to lose at this point.

It was a big shock because I am one of only two PE's at this municipality so I kind of thought that would count for something.

My husband is a teacher so it will be a tough adjustment but hopefully it won't take too long to find a job (yeah right). Of course nobody will hire me until after I have the baby I'm sure. :mellow:

So I got news this week that I will be laid off from my government job. It will be effective either the end of this month or mid August. I am so upset at the timing. I will be 8 months pregnant when they let me go. I had a short term disability policy I was paying for through work and was planning on using it once I went on FMLA and now I won't get it.
THere's no way you can continue to pay the policy (or even pay a little more until you give birth) and still keep it? Sometimes they let you continue insurance after a layoff but at a little more expense. I'd try to find an insurance commissioner or some offical to talk to. It doesn't seem fair that they can do this with so little time to go.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you play a trump card, and go on FMLA ahead of the layoff? That way insurance will cover you, and you may have short term disability or sick time to cover the rest of the pregnancy? At least with all of the layoffs I have survived, anyone on FMLA could not be laid off until they came back to work off of FMLA. So, if they went on FMLA, their layoff wasn't effective until 12 weeks were up unless they came back quicker.

Next step, you may want to check with http://www.eeoc.com , and wonder since you have good credentials that you may be targeted because you are pregnant or a woman? Even if you don't think you have a case or want to sue, if they feel you have a case, they will sue your employer and management on your behalf. How do you feel about your management? One thing I learned from multiple classes, not only is your employer liable for discrimination type lawsuits, but so is your management chain so you could win from multiple angles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next step, you may want to check with http://www.eeoc.com , and wonder since you have good credentials that you may be targeted because you are pregnant or a woman?
Our country has got a long way to go if people's first thought is discrimination every time a woman (especially pregnant woman) is laid off! It's a shit sandwich regardless of gender.

Melanie11: Ever thought of working for the Federal government? Much less chance of a layoff! NAVFAC always seems to be hiring. Not sure where you live (or if relocation is an option), but there's lots of opportunity in DC!

Can you play a trump card, and go on FMLA ahead of the layoff? That way insurance will cover you, and you may have short term disability or sick time to cover the rest of the pregnancy? At least with all of the layoffs I have survived, anyone on FMLA could not be laid off until they came back to work off of FMLA. So, if they went on FMLA, their layoff wasn't effective until 12 weeks were up unless they came back quicker.
Next step, you may want to check with http://www.eeoc.com , and wonder since you have good credentials that you may be targeted because you are pregnant or a woman? Even if you don't think you have a case or want to sue, if they feel you have a case, they will sue your employer and management on your behalf. How do you feel about your management? One thing I learned from multiple classes, not only is your employer liable for discrimination type lawsuits, but so is your management chain so you could win from multiple angles.
That is why I am asking for the extension to the end of the fiscal year. I am due September 11 so I will be on FMLA at that time. There has also been a precedence set for this. They extended a previous layoff so someone could get vested last year and they also delayed outsourcing a department until after the holidays last year because they thought it would look bad if they laid everyone off right before Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I figure I have nothing to lose by asking for everything I feel I deserve. I have been a model employee, even recently employee of the month and the director (who is actually the one who recommends employees for layoff) sat in my office this year and expressed how when a management position opens up in the department he wants to train me for it.

I am meeting with them Wednesday regarding my request to discuss it further.

Next step, you may want to check with http://www.eeoc.com , and wonder since you have good credentials that you may be targeted because you are pregnant or a woman?
Our country has got a long way to go if people's first thought is discrimination every time a woman (especially pregnant woman) is laid off! It's a shit sandwich regardless of gender.

Melanie11: Ever thought of working for the Federal government? Much less chance of a layoff! NAVFAC always seems to be hiring. Not sure where you live (or if relocation is an option), but there's lots of opportunity in DC!
The only reason I mention it, is because I do work for a boss that has been notorious for treating women differently than the guys. Even though I am a guy, it pisses me off when we get rid of a couple of great engineers over guys that can't pass algebra or calculus to get a JUCO degree. Of course, my boss doesn't know the difference between a JUCO degree and a BS in Engineering.

That truly sucks, Melanie. Bad timing, for sure.

I echo IlPadrino in his recommendation to look for federal work. Heck, any work - a PE is a valuable thing, you should be able to find a job. But I agree, the timing sure messes that all up.

Good luck with the request and getting coverage for maternity leave. Hope it works out.

Thanks all. I am hoping if we tighten our belts it will end up being a blessing in disguise if I can't find a job right away I will be able to stay home with the little one longer than I normally would have. I am anxious to see how my meeting with the Director goes tomorrow regarding delaying the layoff.

The timing really sucks because of the pregnancy, but hopefully it'll all work out in the end. You'll get unemployment at least, although compared to a typical engineer's salary it's not a ton of money. If you are able and willing to work you can get that unemployment check. It can't hurt to job hunt prior to the baby's arrival, although you may not have much luck. Your PE is a valuable thing and I bet that you won't be out of work for long.

My husband's been laid off three times since May 2008 (darn recession). Only one of those layoffs was for more than a month, though. The other two times he found a new job very quickly, most recently a better gig with the same employer. It was always difficult to go through but he's now in a much better work situation than he was before the economy went off the rails. You never know when a crummy situation like a layoff will lead to better things.

Sorry I forgot to update on the meeting! It went good and they were going to send the letter but as it turns out I'm on disability before the layoff date anyways because of the preterm labor so it's not necessary anymore.

They haven't exactly decided on a layoff date but it's tentatively august 27 at the earliest so we'll see. I would love for it to go into September just for the extra month of health insurance

Sorry I forgot to update on the meeting! It went good and they were going to send the letter but as it turns out I'm on disability before the layoff date anyways because of the preterm labor so it's not necessary anymore.They haven't exactly decided on a layoff date but it's tentatively august 27 at the earliest so we'll see. I would love for it to go into September just for the extra month of health insurance
The disability / FMLA may force your actual layoff date out. :) I know it has with my coworkers in the past. Good luck.

Back