Geotechnical Exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvgirl14

Reaction score
Pipestem, :::::::::::::::wv:::::::::::::::
Here is where I have the issue. I have enough professional experience to sit, but what to PE exam to take is the question. My degree is in Architectural Engineering and I also have an Associates in Civil Engineering (I only lack 4 class from a Bachelors and should have taken them but that is another story). I worked 3 years in the A/E world as a Project Manager and Architectural Design Technician for a small Architectural firm. Basically I assisted the Structural Designer and work on some basic Electrical and Mechanical Design, but mostly took care of the Civil Design and working on designing the contract documents and working drawings. I left the A/E firm and have spent 4 years in a Engineering Consulting firm as a Permit Assistant and Staff Engineer. I work on Surface Mining Application, NPDES Permit, and Perform the Calculations and Design Refuse Disposal Facilities. I do some drainage work and pipe design. So I finally passed the FE and am filling out my application for the PE. I am still a little unsure of the afternoon module to take. I decided I would take the Civil PE. For the past couple of years I have been designing coal refuse embankment and impoundments, so I am leaning toward taking the Geotechnical afternoon. I perform all the calculations and designs on these facilities, slope stabilities, dam breaks, pipe size, cut/fill areas, etc. I also have a ton of Geotechnical references (Das books included). I did purchase the six minute solutions and 201 problem book along with the CERM and companion book. I had it narrowed down to Water resources and Construction, but I have been away from the construction and frankly the code stuff scares me and with Water resources aside from doing sewage modification to permit bath house facilities on mine site I have no knowledge in waster water or any chemistry that may deal with. So am I destined for failure here or what? I am already into the CERM so I hope to have plenty of time to study before next April.

I was sort of in a similar dilemma. I dealt more with construction throughout my experience, but I had taken several graduate courses with Geotech. I decided to go with Geotech because I felt I only had to refresh my skills on working Geotech problems and pick up only a few of the sources I was missing. I didn't want to deal with learning code books for Construction.

If you have worked in Geotech, then I would say you should just get your hands on a bunch of good Geotech problems and you should be good to go. The NCEES sample exams are pretty good. You can also buy different ones if you are still unsure of which discipline to take.

Whichever one you take, try to ACE the morning section.

Back