Geotech Q & A

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owillis28

Reaction score
I have a coulple of questions from a study session but don't have the answers. I have what I believe is the correct answer but would like the board's knowledge and wisdom to verify.

Here we go:

1. What kind of drilling equipment should be utilized if a contractor is having trouble advancing a solid-stem auger in gravel and cobble?

A. Coring

B. Cone Penetration

C. Percussion

D. Seismic Refraction

My answer is percussion [C]. I choose this answer based on information found in "Principles of Geotechnical Engineering" B. Das ".......is an alternative method of advancing a borehole, particularly through hard soil and rock"

2. What piece of hand-operated equipment is portable and used to measure in situ undrained shear strength?

A. Aerial Penetrometer

B. Pocket Penetrometer

C. Automated Dynamic Cone Penetrometer

D. Geotechnical CPT truck

My answer is Pocket Penetrometer . I choose this answer by guessing. I could not find a lot of detailed information on penetrometers. I could really use some help in explaining the first three answers.

That's all for tonight. Time to get some sleep. I have a couple more questions that I will post tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

owillis

Last edited by a moderator:
1. What kind of drilling equipment should be utilized if a contractor is having trouble advancing a solid-stem auger in gravel and cobble?
A. Coring

B. Cone Penetration

C. Percussion

D. Seismic Refraction
The choices provided in A. and B. are obvious throw aways.

I would NOT chose D. Seismic Refraction because while this technology is valid for developing geophysical profiles, it really doesn't have anything to do with 'drilling'.

I would chose C. Percussion. I have witnessed percussion (Rotasonic™) drilling through hard rock media (limestone). It works quite nicely. In fact, I will be out at a site at the end of the month where a few exploratory boreholes will be drilled using Rotasonic™ through interbedded (really transitional zone) cemented dolomite that develops into VERY porous limestone. It is awesome to get continuous, relatively undisturbed cores with minimal loss of drilling fluids (e.g. if you hit a zone of contamination you don't have to worry about sending it to the neighbors property).

:2cents:

JR

The choices provided in A. and B. are obvious throw aways.
I would NOT chose D. Seismic Refraction because while this technology is valid for developing geophysical profiles, it really doesn't have anything to do with 'drilling'.

I would chose C. Percussion. I have witnessed percussion (Rotasonic) drilling through hard rock media (limestone). It works quite nicely. In fact, I will be out at a site at the end of the month where a few exploratory boreholes will be drilled using Rotasonic through interbedded (really transitional zone) cemented dolomite that develops into VERY porous limestone. It is awesome to get continuous, relatively undisturbed cores with minimal loss of drilling fluids (e.g. if you hit a zone of contamination you don't have to worry about sending it to the neighbors property).

:2cents:

JR
I agree with JR and for number one Das book says pocket penetrometer. Since I have never used this I cannot explain nicely like JR did.

C. Percussion I have never seen this before, but the next one will be coring but I have only seen this for concrete so therefore C is my answer. Besides Das explains it nicely.

B. Pocket Penetrometer

^^^ It took me a little while to get out there ... but this past week was the week! :woot:

Pictures as promised ....

The Rig-Mount Setup

dsc04120-4adlhzho2.jpeg

The Rig-Mast Setup

dsc04121-ffrcmu4o.jpeg

Close-Up of Vibrating Head

dsc04122-4adlim9f5.jpeg

Quality of Collected Cores ....

dsc04125-4adljblha.jpeg

dsc04132-4adljmd48.jpeg

Oh ... and the mark I left behind at this work site ...

dsc04130-4adljx8vr.jpeg

Overall, a very good exploratory characterization! I am quite satisfied with the quality and efficiency the Prosonic™ rigs achieve for environmental characterization projects. :)

JR

Latest posts

Back