Geo Guessr

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^I keep getting tripped up on locations in Brazil and Russia. They're both so huge and with so many different looking areas in them, they can really look like completely diffferent places and usually find me guessing like half-way across to world from where they actually are (eastern Russia - over by Japan - is the worst for that!)

I find the best strategy is to try and find signs and google the names on them. Street names typically work best, but sometimes you can get info from advertisements. It's not easy when you get dropped in the middle of Australia and there isn't a sign for miles, but it's been an effective strategy if you have the patience to scroll along a roadway. One round I manged to get all my locations within a quarter of a kilometer doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sometimes scroll and then do some serious zooming on the inset map, but I have resisted Googling anything. That just feels like cheating to me.

http://url.geoguessr.com/6vzf

1. Had a port name that I knew had to be in Quebec somewhere.

2. Highway sign that was luckily in English.

3. Put me on a footpath and it was lovely and had a river. I assumed it was MN/WI, but turned out to be Canada.

4. My friend lived in Ketchikan for a couple of summers, so this was easy.

5. I saw Brasilgas listed on a building, but had no clue where in that giant country I was located.

25,000+ points is pretty easy if you move around enough to find a road sign or business. I recognized one spot as SoCal Pacific Coast Highway. It took a few minutes to find a state park beach name. Turns out to be less than 20 miles from my house! Within 2 kms for 6,000 points.

Back