&*!@##** Garage Doors

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just out 5 bucks and a lot of sweat from being in the garage.. The top bar had to be removed from the door and reinstalled, so there was work involved.... ;) .

Sounds like somethings binding on the track. If I recall correctly, although there is only one spring at the top of the door it is pinned in the middle and at each end. Therefore i think it's possible to break one side with the other still tensioned. This would cause the door to rack bercause it's pulling unevenly. Whe the spring is initially installed they paint a white line along one side. As the door guy winds the center, he can count the number of turns based on the markings.

You might check and see if the soring is broken. There is a tension setting on the opener that cuts out if it's working too hard. Holding the button down would overrride this.

If you can't see something obvious I say call a door guy to take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those damn sensors provide more trouble than they do safety. I know ours are aligned properly but my house faces north. So in the morning when the sun comes up, the sunlight shines directly at one of the sensors which distorts the beam enough to not allow the door to close. In the evening when the sun is setting, again the same problem. I need to dig into it to see if I can just disable them. I've seen people mount the sensors out of the way so they point directly at each other but I am wondering if I can just connect the signal wires.
Can you mount them farther inside the garage, so that the sun doesn't hit them directly? I often have the same problem with mine.
I will look at doing that but was hoping to not mess with the mounting/re-alignment. I did put some short cardboard tubes around the sensor head to try and shield them from the light but the angle of the sun still gets in there.
Well this has now become my new summer project. To try and come up with a solution for these damn sensors. Becoming quite annoyed. Here are the sensors I currently have:

http://www.amazon.co...er+Safety+Beams

And here is a set I was looking to possibly get:

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

The replacement sensor reviews talk about how sunlight didn't affect them. But that may be just because they are new. I tried looking around to see if I could find a sensor setup that used a laser and/or retro-reflective setup but everything seems to be infrared. I looked at remounting the sensors further inside the garage, and this really isn't a good option. I might try adding some additional cardboard tube shielding to see if that makes a difference. If nothing works and I do end up having to re-mount, I'm putting them on the ceiling pointed toward each other a couple inches away. Basically disabling the safety beam altogether.

Back