funny pic thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that is Olivia Wilde. It was from a youtube that got removed for "sexual" nature. I found a couple different versions of the gif, that one was the best that I could recall.

Sorry VTE, didn't mean to do that!

8498.jpg

I built a pneumatic tennis ball launcher for putting up antennas. At 100 psi, I can put a tennis ball through 3/4" plywood (NOT OSB) at 40'. I also utilize it to chase the neighbor dogs out of my yard, I yell fetch and they duck and cover now (quite a site). The other neighbor at the end of the road (1/4 mile away) was wondering why there was so many tennis balls in their yard after breakup; thankfully, they were nice enough to let me come down and collect them all. Now they want me to build them one as well.

I built a pneumatic tennis ball launcher for putting up antennas. At 100 psi, I can put a tennis ball through 3/4" plywood (NOT OSB) at 40'. I also utilize it to chase the neighbor dogs out of my yard,
help me understand here.

How does a tennis ball launcher assist with putting upan antenna?

You can put a tennis ball "through 3/4 in plywood at 40ft". holy crap.

You're shooting this thing at dogs? Seems to me you'd kill them.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's nothing funny in these pics, but someone posted the non moving one..

tumblr_m0boc7w2OL1rqaxfro1_500.gif

tumblr_lj0l3hNtLw1qf1evjo1_500.gif

tumblr_m081gq6KCo1r2hxmpo1_400.gif

tumblr_m06bzrmBBu1r2hxmpo1_400.gif

tumblr_lzdcqdKjUO1rpa9svo1_500.gif

tumblr_m0f095pVyU1rqdpo6o1_500.gif

Old school for Cause.

tumblr_m0d3l1jRZK1rqai8zo1_500.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I built a pneumatic tennis ball launcher for putting up antennas. At 100 psi, I can put a tennis ball through 3/4" plywood (NOT OSB) at 40'. I also utilize it to chase the neighbor dogs out of my yard,
help me understand here.

How does a tennis ball launcher assist with putting upan antenna?

You can put a tennis ball "through 3/4 in plywood at 40ft". holy crap.

You're shooting this thing at dogs? Seems to me you'd kill them.
I have three tennis balls that have been modified with a stainless steel loop through them and some additional interior weight (bb's). I tie heavy string (usually fish netting line; approx 1000lb breaking strength) to this loop before inserting the ball into the launcher. I then shoot this modified ball over the tree to get the string over the highest branch possible. Once the string is over the intended branch, I pull up a long wire antenna, or other line to help with guying, etc... This used to be done (and still is in some areas) with a bow & arrow setup, but many people like tennis balls better as they have more "bounce" than an arrow. And yes, I have broken the netting line a couple of times and lost tennis balls (I used to have 6 premodified ones).

Yes, it goes through the plywood. Messes up the tennis ball pretty good too after two shots.

I shoot just over the dog and yell "fetch". The launcher has a good soundoff too when all that air gets released. Hence the dog drops to the ground and runs for cover now if I just yell "fetch". The neighbors don't believe in leash laws or proper care of their animals. It only takes 20psi to get the tennis ball to clear the barrel, so if the dogs are around, I never go above 40psi and never aim directly AT the animal. That's just too mean as it's not the animals fault for idiotic owners. At 40psi, the ball will still clear about 40-50 yards of air before it hits the ground. Usually enough to start bouncing down the road. At first, I was using 100psi and a good arc to launch the ball down the road as far as possible and have plenty of noise to spook the dogs; now I dropped it down considerably.

To VTE; I remember you love Labs and I've had one on the past that never could decide which tennis ball was his favorite.

bly: Thanks. That makes sense. I was hoping you weren't cruel enough to blast them at the dogs. Now if it were at the irresponsible owners, then I help you.

Back