funny pic thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
600082_6_567675_1_full.jpg

an oldie but goodie

293736_504125566272296_1069224048_n.jpg
Well, most specs I've seen allow a 3/8" for every 10 feet. Perhaps they were simply coming at it from different sides of the Mississippi River and didn't quite meet in the middle.

Seriously, I've seen this pic a million times. Anyone know the backstory? This looks like some sort of structural/riverine epic fail.

It's got to be a photoshop. Even if you came at it from both sides, even an idiot would have stopped things after seeing the piers severely misaligned. The lengths on the protrusions of steel also don't match up.

It's got to be a photoshop. Even if you came at it from both sides, even an idiot would have stopped things after seeing the piers severely misaligned. The lengths on the protrusions of steel also don't match up.
Oh, it can happen and did in Bridgeville NY on NYS Route 17 back in the 50's. Going westbound, they had to regrade the highway for the bridge. Now that it is being turned into an interstate, they removed that bridge and have installed a whole new one.

Oh, it can happen and did in Bridgeville NY on NYS Route 17 back in the 50's. Going westbound, they had to regrade the highway for the bridge. Now that it is being turned into an interstate, they removed that bridge and have installed a whole new one.
That I can understand, but in the picture above, given the proximity of the piers to one another, the likelihood of stopping it would be much greater than if you had the piers spaced much further apart.

Back