Ford Atlas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the OEMs started offering cheap, in-house 4wd, it helped, too. Those Marmon-Herrington conversions weren't cheap. Can't rmember the company that did Chevy's 4wd before they went in house. Even the in-house stuff was some serious coin until the seventies.

Non-locking hubs are awesome.

I have an AWD vehicle, which comes in super handy during the winter. We've had snow and sub-zero temps for the last few weeks and I've watched car after car spin out. I used to own a 2WD truck. That thing was worthless until I added eight large sandbags. I didn't have regular sandbags either...my mom cut the legs off my dad's old work pants, put plastic bags in them, and filled them with leftover sand from their patio project. It was like I had a bunch of severed legs in the back.

Before the automatic hubs, the usual practice was for my uncle to sink the rear half of the truck, send the boy (me) out in the muck to lock in the front hubs, and then promptly sink the front half of the truck. The next step was to have me walk back to get a tractor and chain to drag the truck out. At least he never managed to get a tractor hung up.

I have an AWD vehicle, which comes in super handy during the winter. We've had snow and sub-zero temps for the last few weeks and I've watched car after car spin out. I used to own a 2WD truck. That thing was worthless until I added eight large sandbags. I didn't have regular sandbags either...my mom cut the legs off my dad's old work pants, put plastic bags in them, and filled them with leftover sand from their patio project. It was like I had a bunch of severed legs in the back.
Your dad must be pretty short in order to require 8 home made sand bags...

What did you do with your dad's old work shirts???

:rotflmao:

I agree with the non locking hubs though...

I don't know, I kind of like the manual locking hubs, gives me a better sense of security that they actually lock--the auto ones are pretty chintzy. And the "non-locking" hubs, i.e. Dodge-style just means they're locked all the time thus reducing fuel economy. I don't know if they still do, but the Ford Super Duty trucks used to have both auto and manual locking hubs so you're covered both ways (auto hubs are terrible for snow plowing because they unlock and lock every time you back up and go forward). Not talking about AWD here, that's a whole different story.

Before the automatic hubs, the usual practice was for my uncle to sink the rear half of the truck, send the boy (me) out in the muck to lock in the front hubs, and then promptly sink the front half of the truck. The next step was to have me walk back to get a tractor and chain to drag the truck out. At least he never managed to get a tractor hung up.
My uncle has managed to bury his tractor to the axle a couple times. . .then it's time to get out the bulldozer.

Your dad must be pretty short in order to require 8 home made sand bags...

What did you do with your dad's old work shirts???

:rotflmao:

I agree with the non locking hubs though...
Yeah, he's 5'8".

Back