Ford Atlas

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
Strip away the show truck geegaws, and before you is the next gen Ford F-150.

/>http://www.fordinsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?9625-F-150-Ready-To-Take-On-Thirteenth-Generation-With-New-Atlas-Concept

Why are trucks so artificially LARGE with ginourmous grills nowadays? Not that I'm in the market for a truck, but if I were, I wouldn't look at this model.

I don't know, it looks nice on the inside. I like the addition of the larger LCD command module in the middle and the sweeping windshield. The instrument display looks to almost entirely digital, which is nice, at least until it breaks.

Not a fan of the LED lighting in the cab and bed though, that would be the first fuse pulled.

I notice that more and more trucks are getting the "Halo" effect in the concept edition.

LCD screens are useless in the summer heat unless they picked the correct crystal type. My pilot has a LCD clock and the display doesn't work in the summer when the car gets warm.

It looks like one of those jacked up trucks you see in a middle to large city that you know has never seen a real farm or been off the pavement...
Real farms don't use 4wd trucks. They just get stuck further out and they're harder to load stuff into.

And its just more stuff to break.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I disagree, we had 4wd trucks on the farm. The trick is to use the feature to get back out of the mess rather than to get yourself into a much bigger one farther into the weeds.

^^Really? I don't know anyone who used them. Of course, they really only became widespread in the mid seventies, and the mindset around here was as I listed above regarding 4wd.

I think it might be terrain based. My uncle had some pasture land that pretty much required 4wd to access. It was the top of a mountain in :wv: .

I'm wondering if there was some sort of cultural shift towards 4WD in the eighties, or if it is a locality thing.

I think it might just have been improvements in convenience. Up until 1983, I was the automatic lock-in hubs. The next step was a truck that you had to back up 10 feet to disengage the hubs. Shift on the fly transfer cases started showing up at about the same time.

Flyer, the automatic hubs may be the turning point...if you had 4wd but didn't have the hubs in "locked" position, by the time you got out and locked them in you were probably stuck, but if you didn't have the hubs in "free" the trucks kinda drove like sh%t down the road...

Back