Florida Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think the grandfathering provision is 4 years total or 4 years as a licensed PE? I'll probably end up taking the SE anyway to be able to do work in any state (my company has work scattered all over, so the SE would be a huge asset), but it'd be nice to not have to pass it in order to keep doing what I'm doing in state.
My guess is that it would be longer than the 4 years required for the PE...probably at least 4 years as a structural PE. Keep in mind though, a grandfathered PE probably wont be worth anything to California or Washington, you are going to want to pass the exam if thats your goal.
Fortunately everything I've done has been structures, so as long as they accept structural experience as an EI I'll be good to go. Most of our work at this location is for projects in FL, so there'll be enough to do in state to keep me busy and employed. The SE is just a nice-to-have and makes me more valuable to the company, but it's not a deal breaker so long as I can continue to do stuff here.

It's definitely on the radar, though. The industry seems to be moving that way and I don't want to be left behind by not passing the SE too.
I was in the early talks for this bill that is being presented to the Florida Legislature. The way it was intended was to be 4 years of experience as a PE doing structures.
Well ****.

I passed PE Mechanical Systems and Materials!

Email came in at 3:39pm EST! Last name starts with Z.

Congratulations to everyone who passed!

Does anyone know what the next step is? Is there a process to get a PE number now?

I think they just send you your stuff after a few weeks (if memory serves). Technically I dont think you can call yourself a PE until you have a number.

Has anyone heard of SE results being released?

Found this on the fbpe.org website:

The Board will initiate the final steps for licensing you as a professional engineer. The process of entering the scores, assigning license numbers, and issuing the license card and wall certificate takes eight to ten weeks. You may check the status of your license by visiting https://www.myfloridalicense.com/viewapps.asp?SID= to access the licensure database of the Department of Business and Professional Regulation or by email at[email protected] Once your record reflects a license number, your wallet card and wall certificate will follow.

Seriously, some of y'all are still waiting? I hope you find out soon, and good luck.

I think now we just wait for FBPE to finalize our licensure information. I believe our license number and such will show up on MyFloridaLicense first, and then the certificate will follow in the mail. Once we have a license number I think that's all we need to order our stamps and new business cards! In case you haven't seen it, there's a couple paragraphs about what happens after passing on the board's site: http://www.fbpe.org/licensure/ncees-exam-information

Just a head's up, now we'll have to take an advanced building code course before we're allowed to file plans for permitting. I'm sure that'll affect some of you.

Personally, I would wait until my license number is assigned before putting PE behind my name. It's only a couple more weeks, so why risk getting in hot water now?

lol, it's that 8-10 weeks again! From stalking previous exam year threads I believe the board usually has numbers assigned by January. Somehow I think this wait will be easier than the exam results wait!

Back